Each product has been independently selected by our editorial team. We may receive commissions from some links to products on this page. Promotions are subject to availability and retailer terms.
Could your damaged hair benefit from coconut oil?
Beauty experts tell Good Housekeeping that coconut oil can be used to moisturize and condition the hair, and it may work better than other oils out there. "Coconut oil is unique because it's similar to hair's natural lipid structure and able to penetrate the hair more than other oils," IGK Hair Care co-founder Leo Izquierdo notes.
Benefits to Using Coconut Oil 2 to 3 Times a Week (Use less if you have fine hair)
- Enhance hair's lubrication
- Makes hair easier to comb
- Increase hair's shine
- Prevent frizz
- Protects damaged hair from becoming waterlogged (which can lead to cuticle lifting and further damage)
- Reduce protein loss in undamaged and damaged hair
How to Use As a Hair Mask
- GH's beauty experts say to use raw coconut oil or a product that lists coconut oil as a top ingredient
- Apply to hair and comb it through
- Let sit for 15 to 30 minutes
- The shampoo out the oil -- you may need to wash twice to remove all the oil
- For maximum benefits, this treatment can be left on overnight in a hair wrap or shower cap but might require 2 deep washes to remove oil from the hair
Also, GH's beauty experts suggest applying a tiny amount of oil to the ends of your hair to tame frizz when you style. Check out 3 great coconut oil products that may help the health of your hair!