Getting daily exercise is vital to your health, but there are times when working out can be difficult. Fear not, The Doctors share even a small amount of activity -- an "exercise snack" -- can have big benefits.
According to a study in Applied Physiology of Nutrition and Metabolism, exercising for as little as 20 seconds could be enough to boost your aerobic fitness, when done several times during the course of the day. It was also shown to help with someone's aerobic capacity and also may help to lower blood sugar.
Some simple ways you can add an "exercise snack" into your busy day:
- Take a brisk walk
- Skip the elevator and take the stairs, go up and down a few times for even more exercise
- Park further away from your destination in order to get in extra steps
- Set a regular time or ongoing reminder on your phone and get up from your desk (or the couch)
- Instead of driving somewhere, walk or bike if possible
- Treat your dog and add in an extra walk to the day, both of you will benefit from it
And if you are stuck at home, learn more about workouts you can do while safely sheltering in place.