Breast Lift Surgery:
• As skin loses its elasticity or volume, the breasts will often lose shape and firmness and begin to sag.
• Breast lift, or mastopexy, is a surgical procedure to raise and reshape sagging breasts.
• Can also reduce the size of the areola and reposition the nipple
• Factors such as pregnancy, nursing, weight loss and gravity can affect female breast shape.
• The m ost common technique, according to Edina Plastic Surgery, involves an anchor-shaped incision following the natural contour of the breast.
– The incision outlines the area from which breast skin will be removed and defines the new location for the nipple.
– When excess skin has been removed, the nipple and areola are moved to the higher position.
– The skin surrounding the areola is then brought down and together to reshape the breast.
– Stitches are usually located around the areola, in a vertical line extending downward from the nipple area, and along the lower crease of the breast.
• The most common techniques include:
– Full tummy tuck: incision extending from hip to hip, and an incision around the belly button will be made
– Mini and modified tummy tucks: incision is much shorter and none is made around the belly button
– Skin and fat is lifted off the abdominal wall, muscles usually tightened, then excess skin is removed
– A new opening for the belly button is made, drains are placed, and the incisions are then closed
• Butt augmentation can be performed in conjunction with other surgical procedures.
– Combined procedures of abdominoplasty, liposuction, breast lift and butt augmentation are often called "Mommy Makeovers"
– Allows patient to have a single recovery vs. three separate ones
– Make an incision in the fold between the buttock cheeks and insert a solid silicone implant into the pocket below the gluteus muscle and above the pelvic bone
• According to ASAPS, autologous fat transfer is the most common butt augmentation procedure:
– Entails grafting fat from one body part to add volume to another
– Donor sites may include abdomen, hips, back or thighs
– Fat cells are removed via lipoplasty and injected in "layers" into buttocks
– Surgeon may also use liposuction to further contour the buttocks
– For Amanda: Made a pocket under the butt skin and tucked in extra tissue, which takes the muffin top away and adds it to the butt
Tips for Someone Considering Surgery:
• Ask yourself if you really have a problem that needs to be fixed with a surgical solution
• Are you trying to fix a psychological problem with a physical solution?
• If a psychological problem exists, you need to treat that first. Then if you want to have cosmetic surgery, do it for the right reasons.
• The d ecision to have cosmetic surgery should be about how you feel about yourself, not how everybody else feels about you.
Sources: Dr. Nathan Leigh, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Medscape, Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, APA.org