Pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his top 10 health tips that won't cost you a cent!
10. When brushing your teeth, use a dry brush first. Dry brushing can cut tartar by 60 percent and reduces bleeding of the gums by half, but be sure to use a soft-bristle brush. Use a wet brush and toothpaste afterwards to freshen your breath.
9. Skip the commercials! While watching TV, get up and jog in place, dance or do jumping jacks during commercial breaks to burn an extra 270 calories per day.
8. Skip that second cup of coffee. The caffeine content in two cups of Joe can increase your heart rate by 16 beats a minute, which isn't good for cardiovascular health.
7. Go outside! Spending 30 minutes a day in the sun can help reduce your risk of certain cancers and cardiovascular disease, but remember to wear sunscreen.
6. Do 20 crunches a day. Building up the lower abdominal muscles can prevent 75 percent of lower back injuries.
5. Gargle with antiseptic mouthwash before and after taking a trip to reduce your risk of catching a cold.
4. Don't forget to laugh! Studies show laughter relieves stress and increases immune function.
3. Get steamed. Enjoy a free sauna in your shower by turning up the heat to a comfortable temperature and enjoying the steam it produces. Steam is known to relieve joint and muscle tension and help your immune system.
2. Stretch it out. Stretching your muscles improves circulation, increases flexibility and reduces your chances of getting injured.
1. Go to bed early. Studies show people who are sleep-deprived can gain an average of 3 pounds in just 11 days. Most people require 7 hours of sleep for a good night's rest.