Get the most out of your groceries with these five simple tips:
1. Store uncut watermelons on the counter, not the fridge, to boost cancer-fighting lycopene by 40 percent.
2. Refrigerate your apples, as non-refrigerated apples rot 10 times faster. The best place to store them is the crisper, away from other foods.
3. Store apples, peaches and pears away from other fresh foods, as these fruits emit ethylene as they ripen, which can speed up deterioration in your vegetables.
4. Steam asparagus vertically, tips up, so it loses fewer nutrients while cooking.
5. Storing coffee in fridge or freezer exposes it to fluctuating temperatures, which can lead to condensation. Instead, store it in an air-tight container in the cabinet.