Do you wash your hair every day? Cleaning your scalp too often can lead to dull, brittle hair and major buildup. Celebrity hairstylist Angela Kalinowski of Warren-Tricomi Salon in Los Angeles shares her best tips for taking care of your locks.
• Don’t wash your hair every single day: This includes wetting it, so take a bath or wear a shower cap. For people with normal hair, limit washing to every other day. For those with dryer hair, wash every two to three days if it doesn’t get oily.
• Rotate your shampoo and conditioner brands: Keep two types of shampoo in your shower, and use the opposite brand each time you wash your hair.
• Rinse thoroughly: Be sure to rinse and massage every inch of your scalp. People often let the water hit the top of their head and don’t think about what’s below the crown and ears.
• Avoid buildup: A dry and flaky scalp can signal over-shampooing and under-moisturizing, and a heavy, filmy or gritty feeling means major buildup. Remove buildup and add shine without stripping your hair of healthy oils with the apple cider vinegar mixture below.
Apple Cider Vinegar Buildup Buster
When used regularly, apple cider vinegar can revitalize your hair, leaving it soft, smooth and shiny.
• Mix one part apple cider vinegar and one part water in a spray bottle.
• After shampooing, spray the mixture evenly and thoroughly onto wet hair.
• Let the cider solution sit for a few minutes before rinsing thoroughly with water.
• No need to condition! Your hair will feel smooth and soft.
• Don’t worry about the smell. The vinegar odor will disappear after it’s rinsed out of your hair.