The Doctors whip up a their own healthy "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" three course-meal. Find out how Chef Guy Fieri likes it!
• Get Guy's grill recipes.
Corny Tomatoes "It's nice, it's light, it's fresh, especially during the summer, that's a killer," Guy says.
• 2 corn husks (ears)
• 4 large, round tomatoes
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsps fresh lime juice
• 1 tsp grated lime peel
• 1 pressed garlic clove
• 2 tbsps chopped shallots
• 2 tbsps chopped, fresh cilantro
• 1/2 cup soft fresh goat cheese (crumbled, 2 ounces)
Directions:• Lightly oil grill racks. Prepare barbecue at medium-high heat.
• Grill corn until tender and beginning to brown in spots, turning occasionally, about 12 minutes. Cool corn, then cut kernels off cobs; add to bowl.
• Cut tomatoes crosswise in half. Scoop out the insides and put in small bowl.
• Sprinkle inside of tomato shells lightly with salt; place cut side down on paper towels and let drain 30 minutes. • Discard tomato seeds and juices in bowl; coarsely chop tomato solids and add to corn.
• Whisk oil, lime juice, lime peel, and garlic in small bowl to blend. Add to corn mixture. Mix in shallot, & cilantro. Season with salt and peppe.r
• Spoon corn salad into tomato shells. Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Bean There, Ate That Burger
"Great veggie burger," Guy says. "You’ve got beans, you’ve got corn, carmelized onions, the mushrooms ... just the way this whole thing comes together, it’s got great texture, it’s seasoned appropriately, this is just a great alternative."
• 2 tbps olive oil
• 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
• 1/4 cup canned whole-kernel yellow corn, drained
• 1/4 cup chopped red onion
• 1 large egg
• 1/3 cup ketchup
• 1 tsp honey
• 1 tsp lime juice
• 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
Ingredients (bun and toppings):
• 1 slice reduced fat Swiss cheese
• Handful of arugula
• Grilled Onions and mushrooms
• Roasted garlic to taste
• 1 whole wheat, low-calorie bun
• To prepare burgers, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
• Combine kidney beans and black beans in a large bowl; partially mash with a fork.
• Add breadcrumbs, corn, onion, and egg; stir until well blended.
• Form bean mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties. Add patties to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until crisp and beginning to brown.
• To prepare ketchup, combine ketchup, honey, lime juice, chile powder, and cumin. Stir with a whisk.
• Spread 1 tbsp ketchup on bottom half of each bun; top each bun with a patty, add additional toppings and serve.
Key Lime Pie
"There's great texture coming out of the crust, great sour coming through, a little bit sweet and really nice creaminess," Guy says. "If you can make it that much healthier, I say go for it."
• 2 tbsp cold water
• 4 regular limes, juiced
• 1 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
• 4 oz fat-free cream cheese, softened
• 18 oz fat-free yogurt
• 1 1/2 tsp grated lime peel
• 1/2 cup thawed, frozen reduced-fat whipped topping
• 1 cup low-fat graham cracker crumbs
• Mix water and lime juice in saucepan.
• Sprinkle gelatin on lime juice mixture; let stand for around 1 minute.
• Stir constantly over low heat, until the gelatin has dissolved.
• Cool for about 2 minutes.
• In medium bowl, beat cream cheese with mixer on medium speed until smooth.
• Add yogurt and lime juice mixture; beat on low speed until well blended.
•Fold in whipped topping and lime peel.
• Pour into crust. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
Makes 6 servings
You may also like: