OB-GYN Dr. Lisa Masterson offers tips to keeping mom and baby safe during the summer months:
• Dehydration can cause pre-term labor, so it’s essential for women to keep themselves hydrated. Drinking plenty of water and sports drinks and wearing cool clothing will help keep a woman’s body in balance.
• Decrease salt intake, as salt will aggravate dehydration and contribute to the risk of pre-term labor.
• Avoid flip flops because a woman’s center of gravity is off during pregnancy. Instead, wear sandals that can provide support.
• Wear lots of skin protection because the high levels of estrogen increase a woman’s chance of developing melasma, also known as the pregnancy mask, or splotchy marks on the face. Make sure to wear an SPF of 50 every day.
• Stay active! Swimming is a great activity because it keeps a woman cool and relieves aches and pains as well.