Do you want to lose weight, stop smoking or relieve stress this year? Join The Doctors 2010 Health Challenge Community, learn tips to become healthier, sign a resolution contract and commit to change in 2010!
"There is one simple thing that can help you stick to your New Year's resolution, no matter what your resolution may be," Dr. Travis says. "It's been proven to help you lose weight, helps control your tobacco cravings and fights stress and depression. This is truly a magic potion. It's probably the most wonderful thing we have going: being active! Simply being active."
Two-thirds of Americans are currently overweight or obese, and according to a study by the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, the number is expected to climb to 86 percent in the next 20 years. Are you ready to shed your extra pounds and make 2010 the year you get healthier?
| Talk about Your 2010 Weight Loss Goals
Tips to Dropping Pounds
• Become active; join a gym, take up dancing, walk and run more often.
• Practice portion control.
• Tweak your diet and pass on diet-sabotaging foods, such as high-fat and high-calories pizza and brownies.
• Eat a fiber-filled apple before a meal, and you'll consume 15 percent fewer calories.
• Eat a handful of almonds over the course of the day to help you metabolize fat faster.
• Research has shown that women who consume higher quantities of flax seed have a lower body mass index.
Learn how you can earn trophies as you lose weight!
Tobacco kills five million people every year worldwide, which is more than car accidents, suicide, AIDS, drugs, alcohol and murder combined! Nearly 50 million Americans are trapped by their addiction to smoking, and many are looking for a way to kick the habit. Are you ready to quit smoking and make 2010 the year you get healthier?
Tips to Kick the Cigarettes
Nicotine addiction specialist Dr. Linda Hyder Ferry offers tips to stop smoking:
• Change your attitude. Tell yourself you can learn to live without tobacco.
• Change your environment. Keep your home, car and workplace smoke-free, and make sure you have something else to do there rather than smoke. If you need something in your hand to take the place of a cigarette, use a cinnamon stick.
• If you need to simulate the feel of a cigarette in your mouth, drink ice cold water through a straw. This will also stimulate chemicals in the brain that release dopamine, much like nicotine does.
• Find out if you need medications to assist in the process of quitting.
• Get professional help.
• Take the Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence
Learn how you can earn trophies as you quit smoking!
If you feel excessively stressed, you could be putting your health at risk. Stress is often the result of a stressor, such as finances, marital problems and work. It can cause a number of problems, such as high blood pressure, increased risk of heart attack and stroke, hyperventilation, ulcers, vomiting and fertility issues. Are you ready to ease your stress and make 2010 the year you get healthier?
Tips to Relieving Stress
• Practice deep breathing techniques
• Write down your problems to ease your mind
• Increase your vitamin C intake
• Add spinach to your diet
• Smell pleasant aromatherapy, such as a lemon scent
• Become active and exercise
Learn how you can earn trophies as you reduce stress!
By joining The Doctors' 2010 Health Challenge, you have decided to lose weight, stop smoking or reduce stress this year. The Doctors is keeping track of your progress in the Health Challenge. Earn trophies for your progress by logging into The Doctors' community, signing the Health Challenge contracts of your choice, joining the Health Challenge group and staying active in the community by updating how you are doing and motivating others to reach their goals!
Log into or join The Doctors' community and get started!