The Doctors discuss the case of a woman who died after she went crabbing in Louisana. Reports claim she died after eating raw oysters contaminated with the flesh-eating bacteria Vibrio, but are these reports accurate and is it dangerous eating raw oysters?
The Doctors note that in this case, it is possible the woman contracted the flesh-eating bacteria from exposure to the elements in possibly an open wound while out crabbing. They explain that in most cases of Vibrio people will get an upset stomach and diarrhea. They also question if possibly the woman could have had a suppressed immune system, which may have also contributed to the severity of her deadly infection.
They also welcome food safety specialist and North Caroline State University Benjamin Champman, who is also the creator of the "Barf Blog," to weigh on foods you might want to think twice about eating.
Benjamin says that eating raw oysters can be risky as there is nothing that can be done once they are contaminated and there is no way to determine if they are possibly contaminated. In addition to Vibrio, he explains there is a risk of hepatitis A and norovirus when consuming raw shellfish.
Other items the food safety specialist avoids include:
- Raw milk - Due to the possible pathogens that can be found in raw milk.
- Raw sprouts - He explains that he avoids alfalfa and mung beans due to past outbreaks.
- Raw meat - He does eat meat, but always ensures that it is cooked to 160 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid possible contamination.
The Doctors explain that the people who should be most concerned with foodborne illnesses are those with comprised immune systems.