Alarming Sex Statistics
- In 2007, 48 percent of high school students reported having had sexual intercourse.
- Nearly 50 percent of the 19 million new STD infections are diagnosed in people between the ages of 15 to 24.
Ninety percent of teenage girls who are sexually active and don't use protection will get pregnant within a year.
- Thirty percent of teenage girls in the United States becomes pregnant at least once before the age of 20.
History of STDs
- Pre-1960s: Syphilis and gonorrhea are the only major STDs.
- 1976: Chlamydia is first recognized.
- 1982: Herpes becomes prevalent.
- 1996: HPV is recognized as the cause of 90 percent of all cervical cancer.
Curable or Not?
- Chlamydia — Yes, with medication.
- Gonorrhea — Yes, with medication.
- Syphilis — Yes, with early detection and medication.
Statistics courtesy of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, StayTeen.org and the Guttmacher Institute.