Varicose veins are twisted, enlarged veins that appear close to the surface of the skin and are most prevalent in the foot and ankle area. Approximately 50 percent of women over the age of 50 will develop them in their foot, ankle or legs. A number of factors can cause varicose veins.
• Family history: Runs on the mother's side of the family
• Hormones: Birth control pills and estrogen replacement therapy increase your chance of varicose veins
• Occupation: If you sit at a desk or are on your feet for long periods of time, the r isk for varicose veins can rise
• Crossing your legs: Changes the position of your veins' valves
• Being overweight: Extra pressure on the venous walls can create varicose veins
Read Dr. Ordon's blog about varicose veins.