Mold Found in Popular Toddler Chew Toy

Playing Mold Hiding in Popular Child’s Toy

Is there mold lurking in the popular toddler chew toy Sophie the Giraffe? The Doctors look into a recent online report claiming multiple instances of the insides of the toy filled with gross substance!

Numerous parents have posted photos of the toy cut open showing mold throughout its inside, but is this something to be concerned about?

Watch: 3 Unexpected Places Mold Could Be Growing in Your Home

The Doctors note that theoretically mold can make someone sick, but most likely it would only affect those with an immune problem. They explain that inhaling the spores of a mold is more concerning and say that if mold were to be ingested that the body’s digestive system would usually take care of it, as most molds are benign.

The Doctors reached out to the Sofia the Giraffe company, who said in a statement, “It's an isolated issue it's probably due to improper storage and improper care of the product…It’s important to know that Sophie la girafe is composed of 100% natural rubber, so the cleaning instructions have to be carefully respected. As indicated on the packaging and in an explanatory leaflet inside the packaging, we recommend to clean the surface of Sophie la girafe with a damp cloth. It should not be immersed in water nor rinsed off, to prevent water from getting inside, as she may become damaged. We thus would like to emphasize on the fact that is it important, while cleaning the product, that no water gets inside the hole.”

Watch: Is There Mold in Your Child’s Sippy Cup?

The Doctors’ takeaway: anything where moisture is trapped, can and will potentially grow mold particularly in hot and humid environments.