Healthy and Kid Friendly Mac ‘N’ Cheese
Is the Key to Treating Autism in the Gut?
Charo Shares Fun Moves to Try at Home
How to Find a Reputable Dentist
TV Icon Charo Shares Her Secrets for Staying in Great Shape
How to Optimize Nutrition for a Child with Autism
When Does a Cavity Need a Filling?
Don’t Let Overactive Bladder Impact Activities – There Are Optio…
How Charo Uses Social Media to Help Struggling Fans
Amy Robach and Andrew Shue Share Their Blended Family Bliss
Is Sugar Really That Bad for You?
Amy Robach and Andrew Shue Share Blended Family Challenges
2 Breathing Techniques to Start Your Day
The Cancer Diagnosis That Saved Amy Robach's Marriage
Amy Robach and Andrew Shue Share How They Learned to Parent Toge…
How Breathing Can Help Your Mental and Physical Health!
Tools to Help You Accomplish Anything!
New Mom Was Told She Couldn’t Have Kids Due to PCOS
New Hope in the Fight Against HIV
Woman Shares Her Story of Growing Up with Facial Hair!
Top Secret Mac 'N' Cheese Recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1/2 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 16 oz package small macaroni noodles, cooked according to package directions (use gluten free noodles, if desired)
- 1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid (from the squash/onion or the noodles...either one will work)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Add butternut squash and onions to a pot and cover with water by at least an inch or two. Bring to a boil, turn down heat to medium and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni noodles according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking liquid once noodles are done cooking and before draining. Place noodles back in pot and set aside.
- When squash and onions are tender, drain (reserving 1/4 cup liquid - unless you are reserving the liquid from the noodles), and add them to a high speed blender with the cashews, lemon juice, salt, dijon, garlic powder, black pepper, smoked paprika, turmeric, nutmeg and reserved cooking liquid from either the noodles or the squash. Blend until completely smooth. Use a tamper if necessary to push ingredients to the bottom of the blender.
- Add butternut squash sauce to the macaroni noodles and stir, making sure every noodle is covered in sauce. Warm through if needed.
- Dig in!
The Doctors are always looking for ways to eat healthier and we have a mac ‘n’ cheese recipe that is good for you and your kids will love it too!
We are joined by food blogger Jenn Sebestyen from the Veggie Inspired Journey blog, who shares her mac ‘n’ cheese recipe that is loaded with great secret ingredients like butternut squash and cashews.
“My kids love mac ‘n’ cheese. They happen to be partial to the store-bought kind in the blue box… I really wanted to find something that was healthier, that I could feel good about serving them, packed with veggies, with real whole food ingredients,” she shares. “And when we first tried this, I did not tell them what it was… they sat down and they ate it and they loved it. They asked for seconds.”
ER physician Dr. Travis Stork samples the veggie-filled dish and says, “I’m a kid at heart and I give it 2 thumbs up.”
But what do real kids think? The Doctors brought in 6-year-old Marley, 5-year-old Sofia, and 5-year-old James. Find out what our tiny taste testers thought of the dish when they rate it “yummy” or “yuck” in the video above!