Dr. Phil McGraw and wife Robin celebrated their 40 year anniversary this year and he joins The Doctors to share his secrets to a happy marriage.
He tells ER physician Dr. Travis Stork and plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon that communication is vital to keeping a healthy relationship going.
“Relationships are negotiations and negotiations never stop because things evolve,” he explains.
For couples about to take the marriage leap, Dr. Phil suggests that couples work through a process which he calls a “pre-marital sequence.” This will involve each person laying out their expectations and desires for the coming years. He suggests couples discuss the following topics to ensure they are compatible and can go the distance with each other:
- Talk about your goals
- Discuss the ins and outs of each person's daily life
- Know what to expect when it comes to the division of labor in the household
- Be open and honest about each person’s finances
- Make sure both people are aware of how many children each wants
- Ask about each person’s boundaries regarding the in-laws and extended families
- Know where religion fits in, or doesn’t, to your relationship
Get more marriage and relationship tips from Dr. Phil, here! The Dr. Phil Show airs weekdays (check local listings).