A viewer from Orange County, California, asks plastic surgeon Dr. Drew Ordon if there is such a thing as too much Botox.
“You can overdose with Botox if you’re using it to treat sweating or other things like that,” Dr. Ordon says. “The toxic levels are about 200 units. Typically, if you’re just doing a facial injection for wrinkles, it’s about 25 units, so you’re safe.”
Dr. Ordon explains that if you do take in toxic levels of Botox, it can cause muscle weakness, difficulty swallowing and trouble speaking and breathing. “People actually have died of bad Botox,” Dr, Ordon adds. “Make sure you’re having your Botox done by a [board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon] who knows the anatomy, knows the dosages and isn’t going to leave you with a frozen face.”
• Learn more of the dos and don'ts of plastic surgery.