Does your favorite skincare product contain toxic dangers? The Doctors investigate what may be lurking in the things we put on our body daily.
According to a recent study, 1 in 8 of the 82,000 ingredients used in personal care products was found to be an industrial chemical. Naturopathic doctor Dr. Trevor Cates joins the panel to discuss some of the possible harmful chemicals in some of your favorite products and offers up some healthier alternatives.
“There are so many toxins in our skincare products and we use, on average, 9 personal care products per day. That exposes us to [on average] 126 unique ingredients,” she warns.
Ingredients that Dr. Cates says to look out for are:
- DMDM hydantoin - which is another name for a formaldehyde releaser and is toxic
- Mineral oil - which is made from petroleum and is harmful to the body
- Coal tar - which comes from tar and often used in dandruff products and is also toxic
Dr. Cates says there are many natural and safe alternatives available. Some suggested swaps she recommends are:
- Rosemary leaf extract - a natural preservative and safer option compared to a formaldehyde releaser
- Argon oil - a clean, vitamin-filled alternative to mineral oil
- Aloe vera – a natural hydration product that can be used instead of coal tar
Ultimately, she hopes people look to Mother Nature for their beauty products when possible, adding, “Let’s keep it simple, let’s get back to nature. It’s really the things we use on a day to day basis that make the biggest difference."