Mom Tyler was shocked and horrified when she went to pick up her son at daycare and discovered him drinking from a bottle of breast milk that was not hers.
“I saw him drinking the bottle, I told [the daycare] that I had not brought a bottle for him and I asked if it was breast milk and they confirmed that it was,” she explains, saying they mistakenly gave her son milk from another mother.
Tyler goes on to say she was actually in the same building as the daycare and had told the staff to simply call her and she could come down and prepare a bottle of her own breast milk for her son. The mom says the staff was apologetic for the error, but that the center did not initially offer to pay for the appropriate screenings and tests to determine if her son was exposed to anything.
OB-GYN Dr. Jennifer Ashton says the chances of her child contracting anything were slim, but warns, “Breast milk is a bodily fluid, you can absolutely transmit viruses, bacteria and fungus,” including HIV and hepatitis.
Shocked to hear that the daycare center did not immediately pay for the appropriate tests, Plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon says, “The right thing is to get the proper testing.”
ER physician Dr. Travis Stork adds, “This center needs to step up and pay for the testing.”
What would you do if you found out your child was drinking the breast milk from another mom?