A 38-year-old Chinese man recently went to the hospital after feeling weak and experiencing stomach pain and vomiting for 3 days. The problem was not due to over-eating or the flu, but something much worse. Doctors removed tapeworm, measuring 20 feet in length!
The physicians were able to deduce what was ailing the man after he revealed he enjoyed eating raw beef, which can cause people to get a tapeworm. The worm was thought to be in the man for up to two years, but was removed from his body 2 and half hours after being treated with an oral prescription.
ER physician Dr. Travis Stork says this somewhat gruesome story highlights the importance of being mindful about eating uncooked meat.
“Eating raw meat comes with its own risks. These parasites, the eggs can live in the raw meat… these tape worms can get to this size, there are a lot of different types of worms that can live for a long time in your GI tract. So be aware eating raw meat or traveling,” he warns.
According to the Mayo Clinic, the symptoms of a tapeworm include:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Weight loss and inadequate absorption of nutrients from food
If you believe you have a tape worm, please seek medical attention.