March is National Nutrition Month, which means there are 31 days to make simple choices and changes that could drastically improve your health and make you feel your best. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics suggests focusing more on making better food choices and working on developing sound eating and physical activity habits and below are 31 tips and suggestions on how to make the most of out of National Nutrition Month!
Week 1: Eat a Variety of Different Foods Each Day
1. Eat foods from all the food groups
2. Stay hydrated throughout the day and use a refillable water bottle
3. Learn the ins and outs of food labels and Nutrition Facts Panels
5. Slow down when eating and enjoy your meals (chew each bite 20 or more times, eat at a table not in front of the TV, put your utensils down between each bite)
Week 2: Plans Your Meals Each Week
6. Make a grocery list before getting to the store to shop making sure to include healthy foods on your list
7. When eating out read the menu ahead of time and make informed choices
8. Make meals from healthy recipes and get even more tasty and healthy recipes from The Doctors, including these 3 easy and healthy dinners that can be prepped ahead of time
9. Make sure to eat healthy while at work and school and use an insulated reusable lunch bag to store your food
Week 3: Improve Your Cooking Skills to Make Tasty and Healthy Meals
11. Stock up on healthy ingredients for your kitchen, including fresh fruits and vegetables and spices for meals
13. Eat your meals with your family or others if possible
14. Cut down your food waste and invest in new food-saving items that can help you enjoy leftovers
15. Try new foods and flavors
16. Get a new type of cookbook with healthy food options to help shake up your eating habits
Week 4: Consult with a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
17. Speak with your doctor about getting a referral for registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN)
18. Get personalized nutrition advice in order to meet your goals
19. Meet an RDN in a variety of places in your community
20. Work with an RDN who can best meet your nutrition needs and goals
All-Month Ways to Improve Your Health with Food and Exercise:
25. Cook with your kids to help them learn about the value of eating healthy at an early age
26. Start a new exercise routine and learn about workout ideas that fit any schedule
27. Better fuel your workouts with quality carbohydrates and protein-rich foods like hardboiled eggs, whole-grain toast and 100-percent fruit juice, oatmeal with berries and fat-free milk or milk alternatives
28. Workout with a friend or partner, which can inspire you to keep at it and have more fun
29. Learn how to best cool down after you exercise
30. Get help from others with similar goals, for instance, consider joining #TheDoctors Weight Loss Support Group, a place to interact with a community of people looking to lose weight or maintain their current weight
31. And remember, The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics notes, "Good nutrition doesn't have to be restrictive or overwhelming. Small goals and changes can have a cumulative healthful effect, and every little bit (or bite!) of nutrition is a step in the right direction"
The Doctors wish everyone a happy and healthy National Nutrition Month!
*CBSi may earn an affiliate commission if you purchase something through featured links above.