Statistically, Thanksgiving weekend has the year’s highest number of drunk-driving fatalities — even more than New Year’s Eve.
“The last five Thanksgivings, I’ve worked in the emergency department,” E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork says. “This is so, very true, because everyone’s having fun, everyone’s eating a little too much, and they forget that also, throughout the day, [they’ve] been drinking too much. If you ever do decide to drink, do not drive.”
Dr. Travis says, to avoid drunk driving, his family will enjoy their adult beverages before the big meal, but once the food is served, the alcohol is put away. “If you keep drinking before the meal, [during the meal] and after the meal, you’re going to make some bad decisions,” he says.
If you do imbibe a little too much, make sure to have a designated driver, call a taxi or car service, or ask to spend the night at the host’s house, until you are sober and can drive the next morning.
• Could your pots, pans and dishes be putting your family in danger? Learn how to keep you and your loved ones safe around the table.
Tame Your Turkey Neck
Cheryl, 49, is bothered by her turkey neck, the extra, loose skin under her chin, and is looking for a quick fix.
Cheryl visits cosmetic surgeon Dr. Sandra Lee to undergo Tickle Lipo, which uses low-frequency acoustic infrasonic vibrations to remove body fat, while preserving the integrity of surrounding tissue. It results in a smooth contour and fast recovery.
See Cheryl’s new look, and find out if the procedure is right for you!
• Cheryl’s daughter, Shannon, 28, undergoes Reaction by Viora, a new noninvasive, skin-tightening laser treatment, to prevent sagging neck skin in the future.
• Learn more about Tickle Lipo.
Healthy Thanksgiving Alternatives
Expert chef from the OWN network’s Home Made Simple, Jesse Brune, joins health and wellness expert Jillian Michaels and Dr. Ordon to share delicious, healthy alternatives to traditional Thanksgiving fare.
Get the recipes!
• Organic Curried Mashed Yams
• Healthy Thanksgiving Stuffing
• Healthy Green Bean Casserole
• Organic Mashed Heirloom Potatoes
• Turkey Meatloaf Cupcakes
• Organic Pumpkin Pie Parfait
• More healthy Thanksgiving recipes
More Turkey Day Tips:
• Learn the safe and correct way to stuff and cook a turkey.
• Does turkey really make you sleepy?
• Eat, drink and be healthy this Thanksgiving!
• Holiday survival guide with Jillian Michaels.