Belly fat is the biggest risk to your health, your life and your bank account! Learn how to turn your fat belly into a flat belly!
"Belly fat is the most dangerous type of fat," E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork says. "But I have good news: Belly fat is the easiest fat to lose!"
Dr. Travis is extremely passionate about helping people achieve a trim tummy and tells you how to do it in his new book, The Lean Belly Prescription. "The key concepts in this book really are that you don't have to give up the foods that you love to have a lean belly," Dr. Travis says. "You don't have to go to the gym to be fit. I think that's an important point, because in the end, it's all about your health."
Complications of Belly Fat
• Heart disease
• Type 2 diabetes
• Arousal dysfunction
Benefits of a Lean Belly
• Shown to make you smarter
• Better sleep
• Healthier heart
• Better sex
• More money, because you won't be spending on medical bills associated with obesity
• Dr. Travis demonstrates the dangerous ways excess fat affects the body.
Lose with Booze
Responsibly enjoying an adult beverage or two is often fine in moderation. However, cocktails can pack a punch when it comes to calories. Belly up to The Doctors' Lounge for drinks that are flat-belly friendly and good for your overall health.
Dr. Travis' Lean Belly Shot
1 oz. Gin
3 oz. club soda
5 mint leaves, muddled
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
Mix in a cocktail shaker and serve!
• Download the recipe!
Burn Calories without the Sweat
Whether you're busy with a family or a new job, it's often difficult to find time to exercise. But, by using non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT), you can easily burn calories without hitting the gym.
• Walk to a co-worker rather than sending e-mail
• Stand up when taking phone calls
• Park further away from your destination
• Balance on one leg while brushing your teeth
• Stand up and wash dishes by hand, rather than in the dishwasher
"Those calories, believe it or not, amazingly, add up over time," Dr. Travis says.
Brittany, an associate producer for The Doctors, put NEAT to the test. See her incredible results!
Ask Our Doctors
• Losing a large amount of weight can leave a person with excess skin. Plastic surgeon Dr. Drew Ordon explains how to get rid of loose flesh.
• Pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears reveals when to worry about a child's bellyache.
• Do moms carry differently with their second baby? OB/GYN Dr. Lisa Masterson demonstrates why a pregnant mom's belly may be bigger the second time around. Get more great tips, and ask Dr. Lisa a question of your own!
• Have a question for The Doctors? Ask it here!
Eating out and keeping your weight in check can be tricky, but it isn't impossible. Lisa struggles to order healthy foods when at a restaurant and wants to learn how to change her habits.
Dr. Travis stages an undercover restaurant experiment, using waiters, other customers and Lisa's friends as accomplices, to help Lisa choose healthy foods in any situation.
Healthy Eating Tips
Dr. Sears offers simple tips and tricks for your eating habits:
• Drink Water: By drinking 8 cups per day, you will burn 500 extra calories a week. Keep a large water bottle at your desk to stay hydrated.
• Eat Nuts: In a study, one group of people ate 200 calories a day in candy, while another ate 200 calories per day in peanuts. After two weeks, the candy group gained weight and waist size, while the peanut group stayed lean and satisfied.
• Spice Things Up: Ground cinnamon has been shown to suppress blood sugar spikes and related weight gain. Sprinkle some cinnamon on your desserts or in your morning coffee.