Are You Addicted to Sugar?
This is an excerpt from The Doctor's Diet by Travis Stork, M.D.
I’m not sure if it’s because of genetics or just the way we’re raised, but it definitely seems that some people are more likely to become addicted to sugar than others. How do you rate? Are you someone who wakes up in a sweat after dreaming of chocolate cream pie? Are you immune to sugar—can you easily say “no thanks” to candy, cookies, and desserts? Or are you, like most people, somewhere in the middle? Take this quiz to find out where you stand.
- Do you eat sweets even when you're not hungry?
- Do you go overboard on sweets, eating three or more servings of cake, cookies, candy, ice cream, or other sweets at one time?
- When you’re eating something sweet, do you continue to consume it even after you start feeling full?
- Do you become defensive when friends and family comment about your intake of cookies, candy, cake, and other sweets?
- Do you lie to others about your intake of sugary foods? For example, if you eat a bunch of cookies and another family member is wondering why the cookie box is empty, do you fib to cover up the fact that you ate them?
- Do you experience withdrawal-type symptoms (irritability, moodiness, depression, anxiety, etc.) when you try to give up sweets?
- Do you have candy and other sweets stashed around the house where others can’t find them, and do you eat them when nobody is watching
- Do you feel ashamed, guilty, or angry at yourself when you eat/overeat sugary foods?
- Do you find yourself thinking about sweets throughout the day and night, counting the minutes until it’s “time” to eat them?
- Do you automatically reach for something sweet after finishing a meal?
- Do you feel panicked or desperate when you don’t have something sweet in the house for dessert?
- Do you think you may be addicted to sugar and sweets?
The Doctor's Diet is published by Bird Street Books, which is owned by The Doctors' executive producer, Jay McGraw. Copyright © 2013 by Travis Stork, M.D. Reprinted by permission of Bird St. Books, Inc. All rights reserved.