Garlic Bar Recipes
Research shows that allicin, an organic compound responsible for garlic's pungent aroma and flavor, acts as a powerful antioxidant. Garlic has also been known to reduce blood pressure and triglyceride and cholesterol's levels, and also acts as an antibiotic, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory. The Doctors share five recipes to incorporate garlic into your diet, however, it is important to eat garlic in moderation.
Those over the age of 21 can enjoy an occassional cocktail with a bevvy of health benefits.
1. In a cocktail pitcher, combine the gin and vermouth with 1 cup ice cubes.
2. Stir well and strain into a cocktail glass.
3. Garnish with pickled garlic cloves.
Get your garlic rush with garlic shooters!
• 1 clove garlic per person
• 1 to 2 slices lemon
1. Chop garlic and scoop into a cup.
2. Squeeze lemon juice into the garlic.
3. Add 1 to 2 tbsp of water.
4. Swirl cup to achieve a circling motion and drink in one gulp.
Garlic Ice Cream
A unique, sweet and savory treat.
• 3 cups whole milk
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly chopped garlic
• 1 vanilla bean, split in half
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
• 9 egg yolks
1. Put milk, garlic, and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to boil and remove from heat.
2. In a mixing bowl, blend cream, sugar, and egg yolks. Strain the scalded milk into the egg and sugar mixture, stirring constantly.
3. Return the combined mixture to the pan and stir continuously over moderate heat about 10 to 15 minutes, until it coats the back of a spoon. 4. Cool in an ice bath and freeze until firm.
* Makes 4 - 5 servings.
* Not a low-calorie recipe.
A delicious addition to roasts or poultry.
• 1/4 cup peeled garlic cloves
• 2 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
• 5 cups sugar
• One 3 oz pouch liquid pectin
1. In a food processor or blender, blend garlic and 1/2 cup vinegar until smooth.
2. In a 6 to 8 quart saucepan, combine garlic mixture, remaining 1 1/2 cups vinegar and sugar. Over high heat, bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
3. Quickly add pectin, return to a boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat. Immediately fill five sterilized half pint jars with jelly, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Wipe jar tops and threads clean. Place hot lids on jars and apply screw bands firmly.
5. Process in boiling water canner for 5 minutes.
*Jelly can be used as a condiment. Add it to meat marinades or brush on roasts or poultry while cooking. Great with crackers and cream cheese.
*This combination of ingredients results in an attractive light green color.
Garlic, Honey and Lemon Cold Remedy
When combined with honey and garlic, lemon juice makes a soothing cold remedy for sore throat and bronchial disorders.
1. Finely chop two cloves fresh garlic,
2. Add 1/4 cup raw honey and 2 to 4 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice.
3. Mix well to combine, and allow the mixture to steep for two to eight hours.
4. Take up to 1 tsp of the mixture every hour to alleviate cold symptoms. Store any excess in the refrigerator when not in use.
Sources: LiveStrong, Garlic Festival