Do you want to improve your family's diet? Talk-show host and best-selling author Montel Williams shares his easy-to-make, nutritious recipes!
Makes 1-2 Servings
• 2 cucumbers
• 2 celery stalks
• 2 green chard leaves
• 2 kale leaves
• 2 green apples
• 2 small limes, peeled
Pass all ingredients through a juicer and serve immediately. All-green juice can be refrigerated for two to three days. The extracted pulp can be refrigerated for up to one day to add flavor to and thicken soups, meat loaf, casseroles or vinaigrettes.
"Another thing I like to do with pulp is put it in a bowl, add a little water just hot enough to make it blend together, and then let it cool down and eat it like cold Italian soup," Montel says. "You can fire up a bowl for a quick breakfast, and you're out the door!"
Spicy Baked Fish with Herbs
• Cooking oil spray
• 1 pound salmon (or other fish) fillet
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 teaspoon spicy seasoning, salt free
• Herbs of your choice
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a casserole dish with cooking oil spray. Wash and dry fish, then place in a dish. Mix oil and seasoning and drizzle over fish. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork. Garnish with fresh herbs. Cut into four pieces. Serve with rice.
Raw Coriander Carrot Soup with Avocado and Fresh Herbs
• 2 cups fresh carrot juice (the amount of carrots needed in this recipe will depend on your juicer's yield), carrot pulp reserved for thickening
• 2 avocados, peeled and pit removed, cut into chunks
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¼ cup of fresh parsley, stemmed
• 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
• 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
In a Vita-Mix blender, blend carrot juice, one avocado, salt, parsley and coriander until smooth. If added thickness is desired, blend carrot pulp as necessary.
Serve chilled in soup bowls and garnish with a swirl of olive oil, a few chunks of avocado, and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
Broccoli, Cherry Tomato and Watercress Salad
• 2 cups broccoli florets
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• ½ teaspoon minced garlic
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 2 cups cherry tomatoes, stems removed and cut in half
• 1 bunch watercress, long stems trimmed, coarsely chopped
Montel's Traveling Trail Mix
Makes 4 servings
• ¼ cup of shelled sunflower seeds
• ¼ cup of raw cashews
• ¼ cup of raisins
• ¼ cup of goji berries