Forums April 12, 2011 - Turn Your Fat Belly into a Flat Belly Stomach Problems in Children

Stomach Problems in Children

Subscribe to Stomach Problems in Children 2 posts, 2 voices , Tagged: foods causing problems celiac disease

Dsc02240_medium EricaETown 1 post

On today’s show, Dr. Sears mentioned different things that could be causing a child’s to complain of stomach issues frequently. Two years ago, my daughter was complaining daily of stomach pain. She was missing school frequenlty and when she did go to school she was spending a lot of time in the nurses’ office. Her doctor thought maybe she just had acid reflux and treated her with medication without doing any testing. I thought maybe they were right b/c when she was a baby she had the same problem and she’d been eating a lot of spicy buffalo wings and she was only 8. I also had suffered thru years of stomach problems that my doctor insisted was just IBS, but nothing they did for me provided any relief. I just thought maybe we were both doomed to suffer from stomach issues. However, while I had given up on seeing doctors for my stomach problem I just couldn’t ignore how much pain she was in and made an appointment with a pediatric gastroenterologist. It turns out that my daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, an autoimmune disorder that is hereditary. With Celiac, one cannot tolerate gluten which is a protien found in wheat, rye and barley. Well, I had been feeding her the most bland things I could which were all full of gluten as I came to find out which was only making things worse. After her diagnosis, I saw a doctor and realized that I too had Celiac. We converted to a completely gluten-free diet and both recovered tremendously. We no longer have the stomach pains or frequent bathroom trips. I just thought that maybe everyone should also be aware that there could be another cause of stomach pain. Approximately 1 in 133 people suffer from Celiac Disease which is roughly 1% of the population. I had never heard of it before my daughter was diagnosed, so I figure there are still people who haven’t. Out of all of the things my doctors had tested me for, they never tested for this.

Picture_2_medium slhousman 1 post

On today’s show about “stomach problems in children” in not always from gas. When my daughter was 2 1/2 years old she was complaining of stomach pains. I thought is was nothing so i ignored it for a couple months. Well when i took her in for her 3 year check-up (Oct 04’) i told them that she has been complaining of stomach pains and headaches. So they checked her stomach and noticed that her splene was in larged. So they took some blood from her so they can run a test. So we waited there for the results to come back. When the results came back they said she was disnoised with Leukemia. So that night i took her to the hospital where we had stayed at for 3 weeks. During those 3 weeks they had started her on chemo and it was the start of her loosing her hair.

She is now 9 years old and doing really good. She has been in remission as of July 2005 and has been done with chemo since Feb 2007.

Forums April 12, 2011 - Turn Your Fat Belly into a Flat Belly Stomach Problems in Children

THE DOCTORS MOST POPULAR Recipes VIDEOS

Procamsd6140_doctors_skin_lab_vl_browse

Recipes for Radiant
Skin

Anti_wrinkle_mash_vl_browse

Dr. Ordon's
Anti-Wrinkle Recipes

Procamsd5065_no_2_bethesda_md_vl_browse

Tips to Lower
Cholesterol

Procamsd6082_carrie_underwood_beauty_secret_vl_browse

Carrie Underwood’s