Forums June 7, 2011 - Eat, Sleep, Poop 17 Day constipation

17 Day constipation

Subscribe to 17 Day constipation 37 posts, 10 voices

Photo_41_medium melissaw72 4572 posts

Why are so many people constipated on Cycle one of the 17 day diet, seeing all the veggies and water that is taken in?

Melissa.

Icon_missing_medium stevietheold 3 posts

Amen, sister. I’m on day 8 and stool softeners weren’t enough. Went to a laxative. Que pasa?

I;m doing ok, with Miralax.  But without it I really dont know what I’d do.

Melissa.

Icon_missing_medium brenclark 6 posts

I have been having the same problem. I thought I would be so much more regular, but I am really having a hard time…literaly…..What has worked for other people?

Miralax has worked—-have only had to take it twice so far.

Melissa.

Icon_missing_medium brenclark 6 posts

Thanks..I think I will try that!

Moderatoricon_medium TheDoctorsBo... 1448 posts

Just a reminder that when members share advice and/or tips about nutrition, diet, exercise or health on TheDoctorsTv.com message boards or blogs, such suggestions and advice represent the individual member’s opinion only, and not the advice of TheDoctorsTv.com, The Doctors or the producers of the show. Please consult an appropriate health care provider regarding the suitability and/or safety of such advice for your specific situation or medical condition. In no event will TheDoctorsTv.com, The Doctors or the show producers be liable to you or anyone else for any such information or advice.

Icon_missing_medium jtalford 26 posts

Yes we know you don’t support products, etc. but Miralax does work for me too. However, it was would be nice to get an answer to the question as I am having the same problem.

Layny_medium Laynylane 27 posts

I agree jtalford, it would be nice to have one of the doctors answer this question, or even better Dr. Mike!

Exactly.

Melissa.

Anyone come up with any answers? Very frustrating as I am on day 18 and after a 9 pound loss the first few days nothing is coming off and the scale is climbing. I am tired of taking Miralax on a regular basis.

jtalford…still don’t know why…MAYBE your body needs to get used to foods; then again idk how long that would take you body to adjust. 

Melissa.

Thanks for responding Melissa…I will just hang on then

17_dd_profile_medium Andrea11365 256 posts

I have always been irregular, but I am eating more vegetables now than I ever have, and although I’m not drinking the entire 64 oz of water, I’m drinking more than ever (40 – 48 oz per day) and my problem has gotten WORSE! I’m buying prunes tomorrow and I will try that for a few days, if that doesn’t work, I’m going for the Miralax; my Gastroenterologist had told me to take it over a year ago, but I never did. Now, I think i REALLY NEED SOMETHING!! LOL! Good luck to all of you with this problem.

My gastroenterologist told me as well that it was ok to use Miralax, a little every day.  I was hesitant because I didnt want to develop a tolerance to it so I’d keep needing more and more etc to accomplish the goal.  I decided not to do that, but instead take some every 7/8/9 days (depends on how I am doing).  So far I havent built a tolerance up for it.  Just wanted to let you all know to be careful of the/your tolerance level so no one becomes addicted to anything.

Andrea, with the prunes, try eating them warm…seems to help others from what I read on the messageboards.

Melissa.

The Miralax is great….not harsh but takes awhile to work….I sometimes have to take it twice a day. If anyone comes up with any other solutions than those mentioned please post it! Thanks.

I’ve been researching a lot last night, and this morning. I’ve decided that I’m going to try the prunes first…. those will be my 2 fruits for the day. I saw somewhere in another thread about this that 9 prunes is a serving, however I didn’t come across anything about a serving size of prunes in the book?? Can anyone confirm the serving size for prunes?? If the prunes don’t work, I’m going to try Slippery Elm next. If that doesn’t work, then it’s Miralax. Very frustrated over this, but thank G*d no pain so far, but I’m afraid I’ll reach a point where I’m in pain. I’m Jewish and I recall many years ago on Passover, the matzoh affected me so bad that I had terrible pain from constipation….it was a nightmare….don’t want to relive that one!! LOL!

Andrea….idk about the prune serving size…seems like a lot but maybe on the label of the prune container the serving size says 9 prunes?  I couldn’t find it in the book either.  If it is considered a “berry” then 1 cup would be the serving size.  Oher than that not sure.

Melissa.

yes you want to avoid that at all costs….pain… I tried the prunes also but not enough for me. I just want by serving size on the package. They were individually wrapped and said 4 were a serving but they are quite large too. Good luck.

OMG! I just realized…..I am taking an iron supplement for the past 3 weeks, and I’ll bet that is contributing to my constipation….however, I just had some success a few minutes ago! …..and it may have been due to the following…..I didn’t want to post this until I knew if it would work…..I had read somewhere that eating grapes with a glass of milk helps (a few different people mentioned it) ……so last night, I deviated from the program and had about 15 grapes with about 8 oz of fat free milk about an hour or so before I went to bed (I was wondering if fat free milk would work or not)…. Well, I have a feeling that the grapes w/milk may have helped. Just wanted to share that with everyone! :o))

I bought Sunmaid prunes; they’re quite small; it says a serving size is 1/4 cup; 100 calories; 3 grams of fiber; 15 grams of sugar. 26 grams of carbohydrate. I didn’t even check the label before I ate them…..I had 9. Tomorrow morning, I’ll measure 1/4 cup and see how many that is.

Andrea …. YES YES YES!  The iron pill does cause constipation as a side effect.  Thanks for the tip with the grapes/milk!

Melissa.

If you try the grapes w/milk, let me know if it works for you. I’m curious to know if that’s what did it for me…and I warmed the milk a little in the microwave…..not quite to room temperature, but I took the chill out….It was actually tasty with the grapes! Someone had written to drink the milk while chewing the grapes and that’s what I did. It was good! I miss having milk anyway, so it was really good!!!

Andrea, I need to get some grapes at the store…..I am assuming the red ones?  I might just try this.

Melissa.

I had red seedless grapes in the house, so that’s what I used….LOL!

Forums June 7, 2011 - Eat, Sleep, Poop 17 Day constipation

THE DOCTORS MOST POPULAR Recipes VIDEOS

Anti_wrinkle_mash_vl_browse

Dr. Ordon's
Anti-Wrinkle Recipes

Procamsd6140_doctors_skin_lab_vl_browse

Recipes for Radiant
Skin

Procamsd6077_dr_travis_in_the_kitchen_vl_browse

Dr. Travis'
Quick-Fix Spinach
Lasagna