I'm a NICU nurse

Subscribe to I'm a NICU nurse 11 posts, 7 voices

Icon_missing_medium CherylRN 4 posts

I have been a NICU nurse for over 30 years and I have seen way too many infants going through withdrawal symptoms. They are inconsolable. They cry constantly, and their cries are shrill and wear on nerves. Sad, sad to see. It takes a long long time for them to withdraw and suffer so much. Not only do they have problems as newborns going through withdrawal, but they do end up with learning disabilities and behavioral issues. This is a known fact. I hope that by producting more of these type of shows we can reduce (or eliminate) this problem in newborns. Awareness is key…education of what drugs will do to your baby if you become pregnant.

Icon_missing_medium bluechip 2 posts

My heart was breaking seeing all of the newborns with serious conditions.  I couldn’t believe my eyes.  What happens to these babies?  I mean, a newborn with no visitors?  This is horrific.  Where are they to go?

Well sometimes the moms are off doing drugs or have been ordered to go to a rehab. In many instances these moms do not have health insurance so basically we are paying for the care of their delivery and the babies hospitalizations. It was not uncommon for infants to be in the NICU for 2 months or more while withdrawing from the drugs. We also have to give them meds so their withdrawal doesn’t kill them…so as they grow we have to adjust their doses of meds. Sometimes as we cut the dosages down the babies get worse so we need to go back up on their meds again. We use a neonatal withdrawal scale for our assessments…the higher the score the worse symptoms the baby is experience. They can have seizures too. Withdrawal is horrible in an infant…they are so helpless. They cry, shake, vomit, have diarrhea (which is why they had that photo of the baby with the raw excoriated bottom), can have seizures, yawn frequently, and be so tight in their arms and legs. They cry endlessly. We have papooses and we often carry them around on us just to try and console them. They don’t sleep well. We also have used volunteers as “rockers” to help try to calm and comfort the babies…but often nothing will help except more medication. Tincture of opium is often used, as is morphine.

Oh and what happens to these babies? if grandma can’t care for them, often Children and Youth will put them in foster care.

Icon_missing_medium jrschaa 221 posts

My take away from today’s show was when Dr. Sears did his gig on the results of bad actions from moms.
This is not the first time that I’ve heard that Russian kids are up for adoption because they come with very large issues. As if we don’t have enough problems here, we have to import them? No judgement intended, just a comment. I would submit that our troubles relative to the rest of the world are sooo small that they suck, yet we get so exercised at the results of our reality. You Dr TV got it right. We need more education. Keep up the good work.

Icon_missing_medium jon_ash27 2 posts

Hi My Name is Jon Stuart, and me and my girl friend were on the show today at the nciu. i didnt want to go on be cause I was ashamed but I eneded up doing it because it was supose to do alot of good for all the babies there. the whole place is run by donations and they need help. They were there shooting for six hours and it was very important stuff showing how PICC gets the babies ready to go home they speacialize in what they do. and I travel across the united states to put my daughter there. But they only air 5 mins. and they made it seem like we are still getting high when methadone and knowing we were having a baby saved our lives. I dont even want to talk about it any more I’m so mad. I hope they do another show on it the babies ther really need HELP soooooooooooooo bad.

Icon_missing_medium JessRN 2 posts

Tax payers do pick up the tab for the infant who don’t have medical insurance but what the show didn’t touch on was because PICC is a non profit organization caring for these babies the cost is significantly lower than if these babies were withdrawing in the hospital setting. I worked at PICC 6 years ago for several years and if I can remember accurately it costs $2500-$3500/day/baby withdrawing in the hospital and aobut $160/day/baby withdrawing at PICC

Ashley_s_732_medium ashleyh001 1 post

when i saw the show and i saw the babies just crying and and going through the withdraws like i honestly did cry (didnt help with the docotors crying either :p) i personaly think that mothers that do this stuff while pregnat then just abandont there babies, that baby is YOUR responibity, if you are willing to have sex your are willing to take the responsibilities that come with it. When i saw the two parents on there actually looking after /careng for there baby i just thought like to bad not everyone sees it like they do. I could NEVER imagin abandoning my child he is my life and i thank god for giving me him everyday. B4 jayden i was on a path i didnt want to be on. and all that changed when i found out i was preggers.

Icon_missing_medium sheril89 4 posts

I just want to say that my daughter was a substance abuser.  She did the right thing for herself and her baby and enrolled in a methadone program.  I will say since my grandson has been born, my daughter has received nothing but judgement from the nursing staff caring for him.  The condescending attitudes are obvious, and they have so much as gone to my daughter’s case worker to make it clear that they feel she isnt there enough and are wondering what she is doing during the day.  They feel she is on drugs and have proceeded to send her breast milk off for testing.  Their attitudes toward her have been horrible.  They give her a hard time about bringing in her son’s own clothes from home to put on him.  They frankly don’t want to be bothered with having to help her bond with her son in any way.  I have spoken with several nurses in the unit and they have been rude and very condescending with me.  I have never had a substance abuse problem.  Nurses need to take a long look, a very long look in the mirror at themselves, and before they pass judgement on someone, they need to take a long look at their behavior outside of work.  They have the ability to have a very positive effect on someone’s life, but in this case they have literally broken my daughter and make her feel as though her son isnt even hers.

<!-- entry-content -->

Icon_missing_medium bluechip 2 posts

Your daughter sounds like she needs some treatment or therapy.  You said, “since my grandson was born, my daughter…”  No where have you mentioned the care, well-being, condition of your grandson.  Are you posting that your main concern is your daughter’s feelings about herself when faced with attitudes or judgment?  

Icon_missing_medium sheril89 4 posts

Bluechip,

My daughter is in treatment….She is in a methadone program and goes to counseling.  She has been very faithful in doing the right thing.   My concern is with “both” my grandson and my daughter, and the point I was trying to make is that the nursing staff was negative and judgemental towards my daughter and have not facilitated the attachment process with her newborn very well… I was trying to say nursing staff should be more compassionate in helping a mothers with addicition problems bond with their babies….

THE DOCTORS MOST POPULAR Recipes VIDEOS

Anti_wrinkle_mash_vl_browse

Dr. Ordon's
Anti-Wrinkle Recipes

Procamsd6140_doctors_skin_lab_vl_browse

Recipes for Radiant
Skin

Procamsd6077_dr_travis_in_the_kitchen_vl_browse

Dr. Travis'
Quick-Fix Spinach
Lasagna

Procamsd5065_no_2_bethesda_md_vl_browse