Forums October 11, 2010 - Could It Happen to You? Living without a colon

Living without a colon

Subscribe to Living without a colon 12 posts, 10 voices , Tagged: colon

Icon_missing_medium ytcrockpot 4 posts

I know all to well what it is like to live without a colon. Back in the 80’s when I was in high school I was bleeding when I went to the bathroom and never told anyone about it. I was embarrassed. Because I never told anyone I almost died. I had ulcerativer colitis. So since 1981 I have been living without a colon. It is very important to speak to someone if you are experiencing this and to get a colonoscopy. I get this test at least twice a year. This test can save your life.

Icon_missing_medium GaMom2boys 1 post

I have a 5 year old that lives without a colon.  He had an ileosotmy from 1 month, until he was 4 years old.  His colon was removed and the ileum connected to his anus.  He was born with Total Colonic Hirschsprungs Disease.  The 1st case in our family.  He is doing great.  Will he ever need a colonoscopy?

Icon_missing_medium missykiss 1 post

and today the men dr’s showed us that duct tape is good for everything lol i love you guys

Icon_missing_medium mdwallace 1 post

I am so glad something like this was on your show. More people need to know about it. I am 27, Have no colon. This month marks a year with out it. It has been very hard and was not done right. So many complications down this road. Good to here I’m not alone . =)

I would like to say to anyone out there that is living without a colon, keep positive and it will work out. It has been 30 years since I do not have a colon. Yes it is hard and probably the hardest thing you will ever have to do in your life, but it can be done I am living proof. At first I was misdiagnosed and almost died because of it. There are so many wonderful doctors out there now a days and if you can get your hands on one of them you can make it. If you can go to the Mayo Clinic that was one of the best places I had ever been to.

Icon_missing_medium judyhallcollins 1 post

Isn’t your colon used to absorb vitamins and minerals from the food you eat? How do you get those things without your colon?

Icon_missing_medium krsmith 1 post

I was diagnosed with Colorectal cancer, Stage 3, March 2009. It all started 6 days after I turned 30. I have been declared cancer free. I had a foot and a half of colon removed and had an Ileostomy, was very close to having an Ostomy. I had the Ileostomy reversed at the end of this past February and had my colon reattached. I feel very fortunate to have given the chance to live, but will say that life will certainly never be the same. I occasionally still have to take a pain pill to keep things under control. But I am so thankful for still being able to live.

Icon_missing_medium mimideb 1 post

In 2006 I had a colonoscopy with 2 polips removed then got diverticulitis back in July 2006 which they took out my sigmoid colon. Recovered from that. Then in March 2008 I got sick again. Since then I’ve had 4 surgeries with craters in my stomach that had to close from the inside out, have been in the hospital over 35 times, almost died twice, had whole colon removed due to it dieing from lack of blood supply. I now have an ileostomy which I lose all my electrolites and dehydrate alot so I am hooked up to a TPN IV to put my nutrients, vitamins, electrolites through my veins so I don’t lose them. It’s not a life I wish to live cause I’m only 57 yrs y oung but this has taken away alot from me…..I’m very weak, lost my handwriting, can hardly walk without my walker or cane BUT THANK THE LORD I AM ALIVE. God be with all those going through what I have. To All: GET YOUR COLONOSCOPY.

Icon_missing_medium soomuch 1 post

I’m also one of those unfortunate people living without a colon, and it’s nice to hear from other people in similar situations. Well, not nice for those of us affected, but nice to hear there are positive people out there. I had the misdiagnosis, unhelpful doctors, and many many complications situations, like some others mentioned. I’ve had 11 surgeries so far and have seen a few different doctors lately for ongoing complications, only to hear “That’s just the way it’ll be, and it’ll probably get worse as you get older”, not the most helpful information. Would love to hear any advice from other people going through similar complications….

Since I do not have a colon I do have to watch what I eat. I have found recently a grain called Quinoa, this grain is highly nutritional and easily digestible. I eat it with honey, cinnamon everyday for breakfast. I  It also helps to bulk me up

Icon_missing_medium Ms Mare 1 post

Just a quick comment:  I developed ulcerative colitis in my early 20’s and it progressed to the point where I had surgery when I was 28 to remove my large intestine and after a year the follow-up surgery which removed the remainder of my colon and stitched up my anus.  Well, I am now 68 years old and have had my illestomy for 40 years.  Yes, I have had some accidents with leakage of my appliance (most due to my own fault for leaving the bag on too long!) but overall I can honestly say that having the illestomy has not been a problem.  I can do just about anything and also eat just about everything (even quite a bit of roughage).  You do have to drink a lot of water so you don’t become dehydrated, but that’s also no problem.  I would have been long gone if not for this surgery.  Don’t think of it as a curse but a blessing.

Icon_missing_medium jrschaa 221 posts

This is for Judy Hall Collins. The small intestine absorbs vitamins and minerals before the food gets to the large intestine, a.k.a. colon. Even so, there is always a concern about the body chemistry.

Forums October 11, 2010 - Could It Happen to You? Living without a colon

THE DOCTORS MOST POPULAR Recipes VIDEOS

Procamsd6140_doctors_skin_lab_vl_browse

Recipes for Radiant
Skin

Anti_wrinkle_mash_vl_browse

Dr. Ordon's
Anti-Wrinkle Recipes

Procamsd6082_carrie_underwood_beauty_secret_vl_browse

Carrie Underwood’s
Beauty Secret

Promod6121_calorie_cutting_takeout_trade_outs_vl_browse