bed bugs

Subscribe to bed bugs 6 posts, 6 voices

Photo_41_medium melissaw72 4572 posts

Can these things get in your hair?

Melissa.

Koala_medium needs_answers 1 post

i went to the doctor about two weeks ago. she didnt know if i was having an allergic reaction or if i was being bitten by bugs. how can u tell the difference between the two. ive removed my sheets several times and i cant find ne signs of bed bugs. please help

Icon_missing_medium hginesi74 3 posts

Removing the sheets is not enough to get rid of bed bugs. You should really have an exterminator who specializes in bedbugs come into your house and test for them. I would recommend also vacuuming your mattress after removing the sheets.

Icon_missing_medium TTrim 12 posts

1. Bed bugs don’t normally travel on a person.  They travel in luggage and things.  They don’t like the light, so they don’t stick around by morning.  

2. You need to go into the room with a flashlight when it’s dark and pull back the covers and see if you see them.  You can also look under the sheets along the side seams of the mattress.  You can look up ways to find bed bugs.  They aren’t super tiny, so if they’re there and you look in the right place, you’ll see them.

We don’t travel much, but are going to stay at a hotel later this month and I’m already nervous.  Our luggage is staying in plastic bags on a top shelf of the closet!  We have a family member who did get bed bugs and it was a very expensive procedure to get rid of them.

Chi_1955-slc_medium Chimonger 11 posts

We have learned, the Cedarcidal product, “”text-decoration: underline;“>Best Yet”, repels or kills just about every kind of bug or small rodent we have encountered, at our place.    Cedarcidal has several products; the only product that contains silica is their wood preservative—I do not think their “Best Yet” has any silica.  We have used their wood preservative, and are very happy with it, too.  The silica they use, as I understand it, is also a mineral—from sand.

What’s frustrating is, it’s Expensive, and needs re-applied about once a month or so, to really be effective for some problems [like rodents].  BUT, most of the time, it works fabulously well, and smells great, too!  I am badly chemically sensitive, yet can tolerate this stuff well.  A one-gallon jug of “Best Yet” cost about $200 by the time shipping was added.  Best Yet can be used as a fogging agent, as well, but that takes more equipment than most people have or can afford.  I simply use a 1-qt. sprayer bottle that gets refilled.  

For Bedbugs, spray it into the mattress, particularly the edge bindings and stitching; if you use a box springs, get underneath that and spray into the box springs to get at the underside of the fabrics supported by the springs.  “Best Yet” generally stops bugs for a few to several months, so if you kill htem off with first heavy application, then avoid reinfestation, you may not need more.   Rodents: needs more frequent application to baseboards, floors, shelves, under/behind drawers, to keep them repelled~although a heavy fogging will kill them, more will come when it dissipates. 

Herbals that also do extremely well:

Pennyroyal oil: Toxic to bugs; it prevents them reproducing.  People should be careful using this, as the oil is extremely concentrated, therefore toxic if you get much skin contact —>wash it off immediately.  SOME people are sensitive to breathing too concentrated amounts of the very “minty” aroma, so should use something else. IF a woman is pregnant, or trying to get pregnant, avoid pennyroyal.   

Other solutions [all considered non-toxic]:

Diatomacious earth:  a powdered mineral, with very sharp edges to it.  The sharp edges cut the bugs, causing them to dehydrate.  It may also weaken the fabric cover of the mattress over time.   It would need brushed well into the edge bindings and fabric of mattress and box springs.        

Borax: A naturally occuring, very alkaline mineral.  It is usually used as a laundry booster.  ALL Bugs and mold hate this stuff.   It is Generally Recognized As Safe [GRAS].  Rub the powder into edge bindings of a mattress and the fabric of the mattress and box springs.   It can also be rubbed under the baseboards around the edges of a room, placed on carpets and swept into the fibers; once it is deep into base of carpets, vacuum up the surface excess [Boric acid has been used this way, but it is acidic].   Borax can also be laid 1/2" thick on the ground of a crawlspace under a house, misted with water to get it to form a crust, as a semi-permanent preventive for bugs under a house—referring to termites, spiders, ants, etc-as long as it remains undisturbed, and as long as it kisses up to all the foundation supports. 

Moderatoricon_medium TheDoctorsBo... 1448 posts

Just a reminder that when members share advice and/or tips about nutrition, diet, exercise or health on TheDoctors.com message boards or blogs, such suggestions and advice represent the individual member’s opinion only, and not the advice of TheDoctors.com, The Doctors or the producers of the show. Please consult an appropriate health care provider regarding the suitability and/or safety of such advice for your specific situation or medical condition. In no event will TheDoctors.com, The Doctors or the show producers be liable to you or anyone else for any such information or advice.

THE DOCTORS MOST POPULAR Recipes VIDEOS

Anti_wrinkle_mash_vl_browse

Dr. Ordon's
Anti-Wrinkle Recipes

Procamsd6140_doctors_skin_lab_vl_browse

Recipes for Radiant
Skin

Procamsd6077_dr_travis_in_the_kitchen_vl_browse

Dr. Travis'
Quick-Fix Spinach
Lasagna

Procamsd5065_no_2_bethesda_md_vl_browse