C Diff

Subscribe to C Diff 18 posts, 10 voices

Ed_camera_258_medium snofun8 4 posts

I was left undiagnoised with c diff for over 3 years, it almost took my life. I look back and was in the hospital every 5 weeks for the whole year of 2008 and finally had takasubo cardiomiopathy and stroked from the stress on my body in 2009. It took over 5 months of very expensive antibiotics to finally be free from this bacteria.

Photo_41_medium melissaw72 4586 posts

Is c.diff contagious?  When I worked in a hospital setting there were so many precautions if a person had it.  Just wondering if there was more than one strain that you know of that wasn’t contagious.  i’m glad you are better now.

Melissa.

Aug_2004_medium bejaybe 2 posts

So sorry for your ordeal. I am being treated for c diff right now. No success yet. One thing everyone should probably be doing is to wash the outside of melons, vegetables and fruits before cutting them. Who knows for sure where we contacted this.

Icon_missing_medium castrokg 2 posts

My husband ended up in the hospital for two weeks because of this bug. He was 26 years old, very healthy, in fact our family doctor said “the healthiest he’d seen in a while”. He had been prescribed antibiotics for bronchitis and when he was off of them he couldn’t even get up out of bed without help. He’s almost 180 lbs. 6’2" tall and I couldn’t help him by myself, he actually passed out a couple of times. At first he doctors brushed him off saying it was a really bad flu. Then finally we went to the emergency room and they said it could be his apendix because of the abdominal pain. Finally after 2 days of being admitted they figured out it was c diff. It took him almost two weeks to get well enough to come home.

I truly believe you have to be your own advocate and speak up when it comes to your health because sometimes getting a correct diagnosis isn’t that easy. Since then, any time we’ve been on antibiotics we take probiotics and we recommend that to everyone we know. People really need to be aware of ALL the consequences of taking antibiotics not just the ‘positive’ ones but the risks as well.

Icon_missing_medium castrokg 2 posts

our doctors told us is that this is a naturally occuring bug we have in our intestines but it remains under control due to the good bacteria that is present. Some atibiotics can kill this good bacteria which then gives way for the cdiff to grow out of control and then you get sick…

castrokg…that makes sense; thanks.

Melissa.

Icon_missing_medium Momof3Boys-JM 3 posts

C-Diff! My son was about 16 years old, he is not 18 and thriving in college, when he had a c-diff infection. It all started with an absess tooth! Who Knew. He was lactose intol. and has IBS so to have bathroom issues was “normal” for him. I will never forget when he called me in the bathroom to look at the blood and mucus — that was not normal! Lucky for us his GI doctor knew what it was right away. We first just tried yogurt – no help. Then a 14 days of antibiotic — some releif but it came back. I have never seen anyone this sick who was not hospitalized – it was awful! He ran to the bathroom at least 15 times a day… everything that went in came right out. He had no energy and lacked color in this sking. Then he went for another round of antibiotic.. and again seemed like some relief. As the symptoms returned we found the probiotic VSL#3 – and started him taking that daily – and before you know it – he was back to normal! It was expensivie – but worth every penny we spent – I got my son back after 4 months of illness. Lucky for us the other 5 of us did not become infected – and my 80 year old mother is in the house with us. My heart goes out to anyone infected – and my advise it — don’t take anitbiotic unless needed, wash your hands, and talk to your doctor about other options. VSL#3 was approved by his GI doctor – we did not do this without his approval.

Img_2231b_medium cshellpray 2 posts

My 60 yr old mother-in-law had routine hip replacement surgery at a Kansas City Hospital in November, 1008.  She went into the hospital on a Wednesday and 5 days later she was dead.  She died on the following Mon. from Sepsis which was caused by C-Diff.  She was mostly healthy, had previously had 2 knee replacement surgeries and new something was not right 2 days after the surgery when she was not feeling good.  On Thur (Day 2) and Fri (Day 3) she was recovering pretty normal.  They were "a little concerned about her not having a "regular bowel movement). Buy day 4 they think that "there could possibly be a blockage in her intestiones, and on day 5 she was moved into “intensive care” so that thay could keep a “better eye on her”.  By 3am she had gone into cardiac arrest and by 5:30am she was dead.  Needless to say, we were devasted!  My questions is what, if anything are the hospitals suppose to know about this super germ.  We felt all along that they were not taking propper care of her in regards to how sick she became  in just a matter of days, and can’t help but wonders how they missed this diagnosis.  Does anyone know if any of the responsibility lies within the hospital itself?  We were never really told where it came from……..I understand how the C-Diff as well as the Sepsis evolves, I just can’t help but wonder if the hopsital was resonsible  in some way of allowing her to contract it or if possibly they were giving her antibiotic that cause the C-Diff to begin multiplying?  If there’s anyone out there with any information on a family member, friend or loved one and . are willing to share.  It would be great to hear if there are other similiar stories out there.

Img_2231b_medium cshellpray 2 posts

That should have been 2008 not 1008!

Ed_camera_258_medium snofun8 4 posts

I had a back surgery and before surgery they give you a antibiotic shot, to help with staff and that sort of thing. But what happens when you take an antibiaotic it kills the good bacteria in your gut and lets the bad take over if you have been exposed to it (whcih can be anywhere, but rest homes and hospitals at the top).
So you pick up the c diff bug and it is contagious, especially if you are taking an antibiotic for something.
Another thing that kind of bothers me is, I am under the assumetion c diff is not a reportable disease to any state agency, so it goes undetected.

That’s a good point about the not reporting c diff to anyone; I don’t think it is either…I guess it happens so frequently it may be considered something “that just happens”, unlike someone who OD’s on ie, tylenol.  Those types of things have to be reported.  And I wouldn’t think that taking an antibiotic one time would kill the normal bacteria in your gut, but you are right…it could happen.

Melissa.

Icon_missing_medium kmblondie 1 post

Last year I started having extreme pain in my abdomen. I had lower left back pain with fever, with the pain going to the front. I kept having to go to the bathroom. There was blood in the urine. They thought it was the kidneys and put me on antibiotics. The pain became unbearable and the trips to the bathroom became more frequent. I saw blood and infection in my stools. My back was hurting and my legs and knee caps felt like they were on fire. I finally passed out from the pain. I couldn’t hardly walk because my knees hurt so bad. I called the doctor and they said there was a bad flu going around. From September 27th through November 8th, I had one MRI, two CAT scans, x-rays on my back, blood work, and a colonoscopy. They saw I had a lot of infection and my colon was ulcerated. I had lost 10 pounds, was in so much pain, and couldn’t eat or drink. They admitted me to the hospital. Only then did they realize I had C.diff. I really didn’t care at the point if I was going to die. They put so much medicine in me, I was vomitting. Everything tasted funny. I was told I couldn’t have any visitors, and I could not have any rommates. I was there for 2 days, then allowed to go home to recuperate. I was told to use only one bathroom in the house and not to have my family use it during the time I recuperated. I slept all the time and was very tired. I will never know what caused this for sure, but I know one month before this happened, I was on antibiotics. I had to give up one of my part-time jobs because I was so tired. It was frightening because I wasn’t sure if I was going to die. I got C.diff back about two weeks after I supposedly was over it. I am very cautious now about everything I touch and keep my house very sanitized. (The stool sample was what I feel like determined what I had. This is the only thing they requested when I got it back the second time.)

Hpim0597_medium cocovdo 1 post

Today is Sunday, March 27, 2011. My 20 month old son has had c diff since August 2010. They didnt diagnose him until December 2010. First he took flagyl (compound medication metronidazole) for 2 weeks – it didnt cure. Then he took compound vancomycin – still didnt go away and lots of diahrea. We tried flagyl again for a month and now on flagyl AGAIN for the 3rd time. This time he is taking it 3x a day for a month – we go back to gastro next week to talk about scoping him to see why we cant get rid of it. Any advice would be appreciated – we are so worried about my baby!

The first thing that came to mind is that his body might be so used to certain antibiotics (ie, flagyl) that it is not responding to them  like they should.  He could be becoming immune to them because they’ve been used so much.

Melissa.

Aug_2004_medium bejaybe 2 posts

So very sorry about your son, cocovdo. I started Flagyl and then Vancomycin back in August, 2010. A stool sample didn’t show any C diff the end of Jan, 2011 and within a month I was having the terrible abdominal cramps and diarhhea. Another stool sample showed the C diff was back. I’m back on Vancomycin again and even though it’s killing my pocketbook, I have no choice. I’m hoping to get into the local CDC doctor to find out what else might help. Call your CDC office and see if they can help. Good luck!

Icon_missing_medium Momof3Boys-JM 3 posts

I can tell you that the only that that helped my 16 year old son was the probiotic (perscription strength) VSL#3 — the antibiotics only gave temp. = CDiff returned after rounds of anitbiotics. My son has been free of CDiff for three years…and I credit that to VSL. Is it NOT cheap but it was worth every penny!! Our insurance did cover some of the cost of the perscription version but it still was costly. He took it twice a day for a month or so…then he went down to once a day…then 3 times a week… then down to not at all. However, it only took about 2 weeks on VSL for him to feel human again.
Since he had c-diff if he was every put on an antibiotic he also takes VSL (OTC strength) just to be safe.
Good Luck to everyone who is suffering…it was an awful 4 months for my son – wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

Icon_missing_medium 12reconst5 1 post

My 16 month old son too has had C-diff since taking an antibiotic last Nov. after nearly 3 months of non-stop calls to my pediatricians office I took him to the hospital. He had lost weight, was vomiting & running high fevers. He took flagyl but the infection came back within days. He just finished vanco last Sunday. this morning the diarrhea has started again. I am taking him back to pedi GI on tuesday. Completely terrified. I am also pregnant with another child & worried about her exposure.

Icon_missing_medium AmyLAllen 1 post

I went to the ER on Jan 26 for diarrhea and abdominal pain that was like a 6-7. I was dxed with Colitis and given Augmentin, which is an antibiotic I have never had before in my life. Within only 5 days my belly was so disstended that I looked about 6 mos pregnant. I was in so much pain, it was under my rib cage, and all around my entire stomach and back and was between a 7-8. After 3 days there of not being told anything and not being allowed to eat or drink anything they had me do a 2nd stool sample. The next day they told me I had C Diff. By day 5 my pain was a 9-10. My dr was refusing to give me a stronger pain med and I honestly felt like I was going to die. My pain was comparable to labor!!! In the hospital I was given Vancomycin syrup, which is the nastiest med that exists. Finally on day 6 my diarrhea stopped although the pain did not go away, it just lessened in intensity. I was sent home with vancomycin caplets, 40 of them, to take 4 a day for 10 days. When I finish them it will make 21 days straight I have been on antibiotics! This morning my diarrhea is back, even though I am taking the med as prescribed and I am eating only the BRAT diet. My pain is still there as well. Now on top of the colitic and C Diff I also have an UTI. I am curious if anyone else has had C Diff flare back up while still on the original treeatment? I wash my hands constantly and noone else in my house or who has been around me has caught it.

THE DOCTORS MOST POPULAR Recipes VIDEOS

Procamsd6140_doctors_skin_lab_vl_browse

Recipes for Radiant
Skin

Anti_wrinkle_mash_vl_browse

Dr. Ordon's
Anti-Wrinkle Recipes

Procamsd6082_carrie_underwood_beauty_secret_vl_browse

Carrie Underwood’s
Beauty Secret

Promod6121_calorie_cutting_takeout_trade_outs_vl_browse

Take-Out Trade Outs