2010_hc_690x150

Forums Lose Weight hypothryroidism and the atkins diet

hypothryroidism and the atkins diet

Subscribe to hypothryroidism and the atkins diet 6 posts, 5 voices

Icon_missing_medium firesmurf 1 post

Is the atkins diet safe for women with hypothyroidism? I have tried low fat diets and they don’t work and I am taking my synthroid and my levels are normal I just can’t lose weight

Moderatoricon_medium TheDoctorsBo... 1471 posts

Just a reminder that when members share advice and/or tips about nutrition, diet, exercise or health on TheDoctors.com message boards or blogs, such suggestions and advice represent the individual member’s opinion only, and not the advice of TheDoctors.com, The Doctors or the producers of the show. Please consult an appropriate health care provider regarding the suitability and/or safety of such advice for your specific situation or medical condition. In no event will TheDoctors.com, The Doctors or the show producers be liable to you or anyone else for any such information or advice.

Photo_41_medium melissaw72 4586 posts

IMO the Atkins diet does not work and tastes terrible.

Melissa.

Tanya_medium tfeltham22 2 posts

Atkins Diet is a NO NO NO… u need to change your lifestyle !! eat healthier and be more active! ive heard horror stories from this atkins diet!! think about it… all you eat is Fats…thats soooo not good for you.. clogs your arteries… you will lose weight and quick… but once you go off of the diet u will gain it all back and more in no time!!!!

012_medium Beckylee1969 4 posts

I also have hypothyroidism. I found that I had to make a few diet changes to lose weight. I still couldn’t lose weight while taking my synthroid and was getting quite frustrated, so I did a little research. When taking synthroid make sure you don’t eat anything too high in fibre for a few hours after you take your pill. Your body might not obsorb your med well enough. I was eating high fibre content foods a half hour after my meds and found it was really not working for me. Also, there are foods you should avoid if you have hypothyroidism, which I had no clue till I did the research. These foods should not be eaten in large quantities and generally not raw, especially if you are on synthroid and still have a thyroid because they can negatively interact with your medication and nullify its effects. Cooking them though breaks down the enzymes that make the anti-thyroid effect a non-factor.
Cabbage, broccoli, turnips, rutabaga, mustard greens, kale, spinach, brussel sprouts, peaches, pears, strawberries, radishes, cauliflower, millet, potato, corn, and african cassava. These are considered Goitrogenic food. I ate alot of these type of foods daily and uncooked. Once I changed my eating habits a bit, I started to lose weight again and have kept it all off. :)

Photo_41_medium melissaw72 4586 posts

I have a thyroid problem also…This is great to know Becky…thanks!

Melissa.

Forums Lose Weight hypothryroidism and the atkins diet

THE DOCTORS MOST POPULAR Recipes VIDEOS

Procamsd6082_carrie_underwood_beauty_secret_vl_browse

Carrie Underwood’s
Beauty Secret

Summertime_safety_tips_vl_browse

Summer Safety Tips

Procamsd6140_doctors_skin_lab_vl_browse

Recipes for Radiant
Skin

Anti_wrinkle_mash_vl_browse