Forums December 3, 2009 - Silent Health Threats Never ending headaches

Never ending headaches

Subscribe to Never ending headaches 63 posts, 17 voices

Pictures_for_my_love_002_medium whitaker 22 posts

I am a 22 year old female. I have have cronic headaches for the last 2 years. I can take something like motrin and the pain will dull but will never fully go away. Recently the pain has gotten a lot worse. I have seen a few doctors about this. One said they are stress headaches. Another said that it’s all in my head that they weren’t really there. I eventually stopped going in for them. I have just gotten so tired of hearing it’s nothing or it’s just stress or whatever they happen to make up at the time. They have never ran any tests to see if it could be something more serious. An usually will just prescibe more motrin. The pain generally feels like my brain is trying to push through my forehead. That’s the best way I can explain it. I’ve also recently (about the last 2 months or so) been getting sharp pains in the back of my head on the right side. I have not yet went in for this. The earliest apt I could get was Dec 30th. An other then that they just tell me if it’s that bad to go into the emergency room…which is unlikely to happen. Is there any way to get rid of these headaches completely and for good? An what is causing it??? Please help

I_have_the_look_medium labelfree 166 posts

so so sorry to hear about your headache pain. I suffer from migraines and my doctor gave me medication called TOPOMAX. This has helped me and havent had a headache since taken this med.
Headaches sux!
xox
S

Photo_41_medium melissaw72 4592 posts

Sounds like a tension headache…are you under a lot of stress?

Melissa.

No I haven’t been under any stress

Try putting an ice pack on your forehead—sounds too simple but it works magic for me and the headache goes away within 5 minutes.  Also, have you had your eyes checked?

Melissa.

I have tried hot and cold packs neither work. Thanks for the suggestion though. Yeah they checked my eyes about a year ago maybe less.

P1120478_medium SpryLilLady 57 posts

Have you tried Chiropractic and massage?

Icon_missing_medium fuzzy_peache... 2 posts

Hi there,
I also have bad headaches and the doctors just brush it off as “stress”
I recently tried Deep Tissue Massage Therapy and this helped for a few weeks. They recommend that I go every 4-5 weeks to relax the muscles in my neck because I sit at a computer most of the day.

Headaches arenit Fun.

E-mail_pic_medium ftworthgal 12 posts

I have had a pain in the bone right behind my ear for almost 2 months and aspirin does not help. A couple weeks ago I had vertigo and it was on the left side – the same side as the pain on that bone behind the ear. My doctor is sending me to an ENT to get a cat scan to find out why I have had that pain. Pain that does not go away is something that needs to be seen by a doctor and even frequent headaches even if they do go away with aspirin a cat scan should be recommended.

I agree but my doctors have not recommended it. They just come up with some random thing so they don’t have to work. My husband is in the militay and the doctors aren’t the best. The pain in the back of my head on the right side just started so i’m going to start going back to the doctor all the time like I used to for my headaches…Maybe they will do a cat scan now

Good luck..keep us posted!

Melissa.

My hubby use to be in the military too so I know how those doctors are. I had such a bad experience with the birth of my second child in the military that when I had my third I chose a doctor outside of the military. My son had a bloody eye and they said it was pink eye and even I could tell the difference, etc, etc, etc. So please DO insist they give you a cat scan. Let us know how that goes.

Ok I will let you all know how it goes. The soonest I could get an apt was Dec 30th so i’ll let you know what they say. Thanks you all for your replies.

1005_medium mjroberts 2 posts

I’ve been suffering from chronic headaches since I can remember and I am 25. I have pain all over, but most of my severe pain is located on the right side of my head, behind my ear and in the occipital area. I have been going to neurologist after nerologist for years now, and I am now on 400 mg of TOPOMAX ( 200 mg 2x a day). But the only time I have been completely headache free was when I had occipital nerve blocks in addition to my topomax and those only lasted 2.5 weeks for me.  Sad thing is I have a  headache everyday just depends how severe, so don’t let the doctors tell you it is stress, keep going for results! If I wasn’t on my preventative medication, I would miss soooo many days of work and my patients wouldn’t get seen!  Talk to your dr about a contrast MRI?!?! Have you had a full Neuro workup?

Icon_missing_medium puppylover 1 post

I started having severe headaches in my early 20’s and I am now 59.. I do not believe there is any test or drug that has not been used for me and I suffer at times for weeks. My neurologist refused to see me anymore after I went to an emergency clinic and was given a week’s supply of oxycontin when I tore my rotator cuff and that broke a contract with him to receive narcotic medications from anyone but him – no matter how much pain I was in. So I am using Maxalt if I am lucky enough to feel a migraine coming on but I seldom have an äura’ or warning sign. I am pretty well left to my own devises as my GP does not want to increase my medication but I have not been able to get a referral to another neurologist. I have made many trips to the ER and spent hours on an IV on the drug of the month but the cure is seldom permanent and I know another is just around the corner. It has been so long since I have had a ct scan of my head I somtimes wonder if something else could be going on and no one would know. Even when I was hospitalized in August and required medication for constant headaches no one questioned them. If something new is being used that I might mention to my GP I would be thankful as I am tired of suffering in silence with caregivers who do not seem to care.

Img_0569_medium traynorja 1 post

hi there, just a quick response in regards to unexplained headaches…..not wanting to scare anyone but, any prolonged headache should be followed up with tests such as an MRI if necessary to rule out aneurysms. unfortunately my niece had headaches and they kept giving her meds for migraines, then 3 years ago she complained of a headache that just wouldn’t go away but they said get lots of rest, try to eliminate stress as much as possible and take the meds prescribed. a few days later she died on her 21st birthday and when they performed the autopsy they found out that she had suffered a hemorrhage. the coroner said that this could of been prevented if she had an MRI….so don’t put off….make your case heard by asking for an MRI and nothing less. my son is off for his MRI this a.m. after suffering from a continuous headache, better safe than sorry our neurologist says.

Icon_missing_medium vboze 1 post

Whitaker,
I have read the forum on “Never-ending Headaches”. I’m a 47 year old female and I began having migraines in my twenties, then they stopped after I had my son. About 4 years ago, the headaches started again. I was told they were migraines again and given everything to help with the pain and symptoms. It wasn’t until I became disoriented, had severe pain, and couldn’t control my speech that I was diagnosed with CHIARI MALFORMATION. This is when the ‘tonsils’ of your brain stem falls into the spinal area. My stem had fallen 9-10 mm and I was in constant pain and would often have problems concentrating. I had surgery almost 2 years ago, and although it did help to a degree, I still have severe headaches occasionally. I’m told the surgery was inevitable..it is the only way to repair the malformation; however, it does not always cure the headaches 100 percent of the time. Be aware that Chiari Malformation is more noteable than it was ten years ago. I hope this information helps someone..

I agree with “better safe than sorry”. Doctors get so busy and often seem to blow us off with “just rest” etc. My granddaughter had cancer at age 3 but several doctors that my daughter took her to would say that she was okay or a kidney infection, throat infection, etc. So my daughter took her to the children’s hospital and they discovered stage 4 cancer. She lived for 2 1/2 years after they discovered it. She had neuroblastoma and it started on her adrenal gland. So don’t let doctor’s say nothing is wrong – we know our own bodies and know when something is not working properly.

Icon_missing_medium fuzzy_peache... 2 posts

I agree with ‘ftworthgal’ about some doctors being soo busy. Mine is usually double / overbooked, and it sucks. I live in Canada and its the same thing here. Sometimes I have to wait 3 hrs to see my doctor for 5 min. Good luck with everything and thanks for sharing. :-)

Icon_missing_medium nmmkk99 1 post

I was wanting to know how your blood pressure is when you have gone into the dr. When I started having High blood pressure my head hurt so bad that it felt like my head was going to explode. Taking bp meds has made such a difference headache free.

my blood pressure is good no problems there.

My blood pressure is good also.

Dscf1284_medium juli1004 7 posts

i also get headache. it’s no fun. i had CT scan, MRI, lumbar puncture, CT scan with contrast. normal. the medication never did help me. I found a vitamin called Migrelief. it contains magnesium, vitamin b-2, feverfew. physcian recommended. i tried this for 3 months now. i am so much happier. i get less headache. i used to have severe headache all the time and went to emergency room several times. COQ10 works well too.

Have you had your eyes checked?

Melissa.

I am now having hearing loss as well…I went to my doc yesterday because I told her if she didn’t get me in now I was going back to the ER. She checked my ears and said they look fine and she has no idea what is causing it. She prescribed more meds and said if that doesn’t help to come back next week….UGH!!!!

Forums December 3, 2009 - Silent Health Threats Never ending headaches

THE DOCTORS MOST POPULAR Recipes VIDEOS

Procamsd6140_doctors_skin_lab_vl_browse

Recipes for Radiant
Skin

Anti_wrinkle_mash_vl_browse

Dr. Ordon's
Anti-Wrinkle Recipes

Promod6121_calorie_cutting_takeout_trade_outs_vl_browse

Take-Out Trade Outs

Procamsd5065_no_2_bethesda_md_vl_browse

Tips to Lower