Motherhood_690x150

C section or natural birth

Subscribe to C section or natural birth 22 posts, 15 voices

Icon_missing_medium newmomtobe 2 posts

I am 35 weeks pregnant, and have been thinking about a birth plan a lot lately. I want to choose a C-section because I am afraid of vaginal tear or lacerations, cuts, and lax of the muscles, but I know there are risks for having a C-section too. What should I do?

Icon_missing_medium Tewie 2 posts

I would highly recommend natural childbirth. Don’t be afraid of tearing!!!! Seriously!!!!!! I tore and didn’t even know it. The doc just stitched me up afterwards and it was NOTHING!!! Please don’t worry about that! And I didn’t notice any issues with lax muscles afterwards either. It has been 20 years for me now. I do my kegels-but not religiously. I did have a hysterectomy 5 years ago and I would NEVER choose to have those muscles cut through ever again. I don’t know how women take care of a child after going through that. I had to have help for 2 weeks after just a hysterectomy and couldn’t get out of bed without sweating bullets the first week. Those muscles are involved in everything. And maybe they aren’t the same ones-but I’m sure we recover from just plain old childborth much more quickly than a c-section. The only hard part to get through is the labor pains-the rest is gravy. You don’t even notice the rest of it actually. Good luck to you!!! Just relax and enjoy the experience-it is truly a miracle. (my labor went too quickly for me to get any pain medication, and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn’t want it anyway)

Icon_missing_medium nyashia1 26 posts

I have had both a Csection and natural. With my Csection I had to spend a week and half in the hospital because my temperature kept going up at night. No one knew why, but the nurses changed my stats so I could go home, and I didn’t have another problem once I got home with my baby. My doctor cut me during my vaginal birth and stitched me just fine. Its not a completely bad thing get cut. Its only supposed to be bad if there is a rip. Every one is different. I think you should try the vaginal birth unless a problem arises and you have to have a Csection. Enjoy the birth of your baby and congradulations

Sany0884_medium VaGsN 4 posts

I had my little girl three months ago. Vaginal birth, no meds at all. Honestly, I would do it again, and I plan to in a few yrs. It was sooo scary to think about it at first so I know how you’re feeling. The night before I had her I just somehow could feel it comming, and at 1am I woke up to a contraction, went back to bed and it was about an hr later that I woke up my husband and said-we’re not going to work today (it was a monday), my contractions were already 5min apart when we got to the hospital at 3am. Doctors are gonna keep asking you if you feel you want an epidural or any other meds until you’re about 8 cenemeters I believe, and what I would say to you is if you really feel you can handle the pain when you’re that close to it, go without any. I did it mainly cuz I didn’t want my baby to be exposed to any unnecessary substances and honestly I was scared to death of the epidural. My contractions were really close and they decided to break my water at about 11am, contractions get very very painful but you deal with it cuz its all for your baby. I pushed for about a twenty min and had her at 2:12pm. The releif is unbelievable, and I did tear a bit so they had to stich me up. Honey you will scream, say anything that’s on your mind, and hurt…but it’s all worth it. Have poeple in there with you that you’ll be comfortable with and you know will suport you through the process cuz you’ll need it, and definatelly keep in mind the pain will go away.

Icon_missing_medium Tewie 2 posts

I wrote earlier and wanted to comment again on the pain. If you have ever had bad menstrual cramps-that’s what it’s like. So you can do it!!!! And once the pain is gone, it’s GONE! No lingering pain whatsoever. I hope we aren’t all scaring you. It really isn’t that bad. Especially knowing what you will be getting out of it. Make sure someone has lots of ice chips handy cuz your mouth can dry out quickly with the breathing. They help a lot.
And I wanted to put something out there that NOBODY told me about and I still haven’t heard anybody talk about it in the past 20 years. The day I had my son, I got up to go to the bathroom and passed a huge nasty ‘something’. I pretty much panicked cuz I had no idea what was going on. It was a blood clot that oozed it’s way out when I went to the bathroom. It was a disgusting feeling since I didn’t know to expect it. So now you know that!!!!!!!! :) I can’t be the only one that has happened to. (and it didn’t hurt-it was just a weird feeling).
And if you watched the show when they were talking about the pooping….well, nobody mentioned that they will most likely do an enema beforehand. I had never had one of those-and I didn’t have a choice. :) But I was glad so I didn’t have to worry about that. I just felt really sorry for the poor nurse who had to be in the bathroom with me!!!

8522_1197770752009_1460700513_30526671_7632434_s_medium Asmommy 6 posts

I am not going to lie, I tore bad, all the way into my bottom. I could not sit up straight for over 4 weeks. But here is the thing, the odds of that happening are not very high. But if you have a c-section you are going to have a long recovery no matter what(according to what I hear). Even with my horrible experience I want to have my next baby vaginally, no doubt. Just let nature take it’s course. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Icon_missing_medium Calypso 38 posts

I don’t have any children nor am I pregnant but if I was, I would definitely opt for a C-section.  When I was born, I was breeched so I know that the chances of that happening to me are much higher.  That’s why I would choose the C-section over natural.

As for what Tewie said:  “I don’t know how women take care of a child after going through that.”.  It all depends on a person’s tolerance to pain.  Some women can have a C-section(or any other surgery for that matter) and be up and walking around the next day yet others are almost comatose for weeks and need constant help.  It all depends on the person.

8522_1197770752009_1460700513_30526671_7632434_s_medium Asmommy 6 posts

In response to Tewie and the show today; I did poo when I pushed…every time for at least the first 20 pushes. But hey like Lisa said, they are used to seeing it. Just tell your husband not to look.

Sany0884_medium VaGsN 4 posts

thats true if you happen to poo that’s normal. Usually you’ll even go before labor starts. And make sure to take the stool softners afterwards for as long as you need them, to be honest at least for me, after she came out it felt like my butt was gonna fall off everytime I got up and sometime after-hard to explain :S .

Icon_missing_medium newmomtobe 2 posts

Thanks everyone for the replies, it helps a lot and my anxiety on vaginal delivery is less now. I will talk to my doctor more on my next visit. Thanks again.

Mommy_ayzli_medium ayzlismom 1 post

I was planning to have my baby vaginally my entire pregnancy; until I ended up in the emergency room and it become medically necessary for me to have an emergency c-section because my daughter’s heartrate was hitting 200+. She ended up being frank breech so I would have ended up with a surgery anyhow.

Honestly, it was not that bad! I was in the hospital for three total nights including the night I went in to have my little princess. I recovered really quickly from the pain… I was up walking the halls the day after I had my baby and was walking around pretty well when I got home. Within a week, i was feeling great. Some of my girlfriends have had c-sections and been knocked down for weeks, but if I end up having another baby: no question, hands down! I will have a repeat c-section!!

Img_0249_medium Mrs_Kozma 19 posts

I think you need to discuss with your doctor your fears , these days there are so many options , My first was a vaginal birth  w/saddleblock , he was truthfully like an orgasim ,my second I went natural and I  wished I hadnt , I have a very low tolerance to pain. my third I had c-section and the differance for me is a vaginal birth you heal so much faster where a c-section you heal in weeks not days , so talk to your doctor maybe you could try vaginal birth and if you cant tolerate pain have the epadural as far as ripping or tearing  that to heals faster the the c-section scar does.

Picture0008m_medium tncl08 8 posts

c-section may seem like a glorious thing to no labor pain.. though you don’t have to go through the PUSHING part the recovery is much more painful and longer than a natural birth. You have to heal and recover from layers and layers of skin and muscle being operated on. You are going through a major surgery and it is more risky than a vaginal birth. They offer pain medications for labor. It is completely normal to have these fears. I say try for a natural birth, you may even be glad you didn’t opt for the c-section.  

180_medium Jenellesmommy 17 posts

If you have a good doctor he/she would not do a C-section unless necessary, if your doctor is willing to do one then I think you need a new doctor, I had a C-section due to medical reasons. Your still going to be in some type of pain when it comes to labor.

James_medium lilbella85 1 post

i had c-section for both of my pregnancies with a tubal ligation. I had little to no pain afterward and was just taking over the counter pain medication for the pain that I did have from time to time. For the first c-section, I spent 5 days in the hopital due to my loss of blood because I am anemic. This time around, I was release from hospital less the 48 hours after my sons’ birth. my recover was quick as i was up and about within 24 hours after surgery and within a week was doing all my normal activities that i was doing before hand. Every woman is different and their experiences will be different as well

Jenellesmommy,

Both the U.S. and Canada now have C-sections as an option for pregnant women which is one of the best things they could have done for women because there are a lot of women who know there is a good possibility that they may need a C-section(like breech births, etc.) so instead of taking the chance with a vaginal birth that has a good chance of causing more harm then good, they can opt for a C-section to save them as well as the baby from going to any unnecessary stress.  Saying that any doctor who would perform a C-section that’s not due to medical reasons is not a good doctor is wrong and you really should consider editing your post.

Any good doctor will respect a woman’s wishes to either have a vaginal birth OR a C-section.  Dr. Lisa is all for women having that option so are you saying that she is not a good doctor because of that?

180_medium Jenellesmommy 17 posts

Not any good doctors I know!

Icon_missing_medium maddoxsmom 4 posts

I had my son vaginal- I did have to have 2 stutches, but I was walking around after he was born and did not take anything stronger than Motrin. Use a c-section only as needed. We were meant to have then, so most of the time there are not complications. Why have a scar if you do not need it! My sex life was even better after my baby was born! I know you are scared- we all are the first time! Remember a C-section is considered major surgery unless you need it, I would not risk the complications!

There are many good doctors out there that you don’t know who will perform a C-section for women who want it and I’m thankful for that because if a woman wants to make that choice, then no one should stop her from doing so just because someone else feels that it’s wrong.

Icon_missing_medium klutzyluvz 1 post

I WOULD RECOMMEND HAVING A VAGINAL BIRTH OTHER THAN A C-SECTION. C-SECTIONS TAKE LONGER TO HEAL, STAY AT THE HOSPITAL LONGER & ITS A HARDER RECOVERY THAN A VAGINAL BIRTH. IF THERE IS ANY KIND OF CUTS OR TEARS THEY’LL SOW YOU UP. IN CASE YOU ARE IN PAIN, THEY IS ALWAYS EPIDURAL OR ANY TYPE OF PAIN KILLER.

I TRIED TO HAVE IT AS NORMAL AS I COULD BUT THEY HAD ME ON PITOCIN SINCE 7AM AND I ONLY DILATED 3CM AT 9PM. I GOT THE EPIDURAL AT 7PM KUZ I WAS DYING FROM PAIN. I ENDED UP WITH A C-SECTION. RECOVERY WAS LONG COMPARING TO ONE OF MY FRIENDS THAT HAD HER BABY VAGINALLY. OHHH AND ONE THING ABOUT C-SECTION YOU CAN’T EAT ANYTHING UNLESS ITS A SOUP OF SOME SORT AFTER THE NEXT DAY OF UR RECOVERYITS NOT THE BEST. MAYBE BECAUSE I LUV TO EAT..

Icon_missing_medium vanilla_momm... 1 post

I advise every woman to see “The Business of Being Born” a documentary featuring Ricki Lake. It is a real eye opener to why doctors press c-sections and why natural birth is just better, if possible.

Icon_missing_medium yohanna_94 1 post

QUESTION: Why would a doctor a c-section if it were not needed

THE DOCTORS MOST POPULAR Recipes VIDEOS

Procamsd6082_carrie_underwood_beauty_secret_vl_browse

Carrie Underwood’s
Beauty Secret

Summertime_safety_tips_vl_browse

Summer Safety Tips

Procamsd6140_doctors_skin_lab_vl_browse

Recipes for Radiant
Skin

Anti_wrinkle_mash_vl_browse