Forums April 16, 2009 - How to Prevent a Misdiagnosis My Very Necessary Medical ID Card

My Very Necessary Medical ID Card

Subscribe to My Very Necessary Medical ID Card 6 posts, 2 voices

Icon_missing_medium MichaelF 3 posts

I went to their website since everyone on the show today suggested it was vital in an emergency situation. I have to say that I throughly read their privacy requirements and was totally dumbfounded by one thing. They are not required to follow the HIPAA laws.

If that is the case then why would someone want to put all of their private health information onto a website that could potentially release that information to anyone of their choosing without your permission.

I think the show should follow this up with a disclaimer to those watching their show. They should inform viewers that they register and provide private health information at their own risk.

Had I not worked in the health care industry for more than 25 years, I would never have know to look for this. BEWARE viewers!

Icon_missing_medium youvegottobe... 3 posts

What exactly is my very necessary ID card? Is it online or is it info that one should keep on their person?
Thanks,
youvegottobekidding

It’s a site where you join and enter as much or as little medical and personal information as you choose. They in turn send you an ID card. In case of emergency the EMT’s, doctors, etc. can login online to get all of your medical history you provided at the time you joined. It is suppose to save valuable time in treating you.

I love the idea and think it’s probably the way of the future but, there is that issue of privacy and security of that information. If and when those issues are addressed I will most certainly join!

MichaelF

Thank you MichaelF. I am not sure about entering medical information online. My clinic that I go to keeps records up to date of medical history and medications. Maybe this is enough for now.
youvegottobekidding

No problem. I am not sure what state you live in but I live in Upstate New York. We have a thing here called ICE (In case of emergency). It’s the first thing emergency personnel look for if you have a cell phone on you. I have entered my primary care physician’s phone number into my cell phone. Example: ICE-Dr. Smith. I also carry a home made card with the list all medications I’m on as well as the allergies and I had it laminated.

You could also get an ID bracelet much like diabetics do with just the medications you take or allergies, things like that.

There are hundreds of options available on the internet. I suggest you speak with your primary care doctor to determine what is best for you and good luck.

MichaelF

Thanks,
youvegottobekidding

Forums April 16, 2009 - How to Prevent a Misdiagnosis My Very Necessary Medical ID Card

THE DOCTORS MOST POPULAR Recipes VIDEOS

Procamsd6140_doctors_skin_lab_vl_browse

Recipes for Radiant
Skin

Anti_wrinkle_mash_vl_browse

Dr. Ordon's
Anti-Wrinkle Recipes

Procamsd6082_carrie_underwood_beauty_secret_vl_browse

Carrie Underwood’s
Beauty Secret

Promod6121_calorie_cutting_takeout_trade_outs_vl_browse

Take-Out Trade Outs