Don't derail your healthy diet this holiday season! We all know it's easy to overindulge while making merriment, but keeping these tips in mind can help you stay on track:
• Beware of foods loaded with butter and cheese. Steamed broccoli is healthy and low in fat, but when smothered in cheese and butter, it can pack an additional 215 calories and 16 grams of fat in just one cup!
• Leafy greens and salads seem like a healthy choice, but when loaded with high-fat, high-cholesterol cheeses and dressing, such as a Cobb salad, these verdant concoctions contain more than 1,000 calories and 71 grams of fat!
• Saturated fats and fried foods are guaranteed to ratchet up the calorie count. Opt for baked options, rather than fried and reach for lean meats such as white turkey.
Try serving these healthy snacks at your next celebration:
• Fill bowls and platters with healthy snacks, such as nuts, whole-grain crackers, low-fat cheese and air-popped popcorn.
• Rather than serving salted mixed nuts or candied pecans, serve spiced toasted almonds. By replacing salt, oil and butter with cayenne pepper and thyme, you trim unwanted fat and add vitamin E, magnesium and fiber to the snack.
• Serve fruit kabobs.
• Swap chocolate peppermint bark for strawberries dipped in dark chocolate, which provide antioxidants, vitamin C and fiber.