Woman's Face Burned In Candle Explosion

The following material contains mature subject matter. Viewer discretion is advised.

Ashley says that when she tried to blow out a candle burning in her home the flames shot into her face!

"My whole face was burning. It was throbbing," she says. She says her face quickly began to blister and she rushed to the hospital.

Watch: A Freak Accident Left Me Scarred!

Just a month after experiencing 1st and 2nd-degree burns, she joins The Doctors to recount the scary incident. She says she is healing, but the experience has left its mark on her family in another way. She explains that she's now dealing with self-esteem issues and her young daughter is now having nightmares, crying, saying "candle," and touching Ashley's face asking if she is okay.

Clinical psychologist Dr. Judy Ho tells Ashley that her daughter is reacting this way because she witnessed the incident. Dr. Judy shares some tips for dealing with her daughter's fear. Dr. Judy suggests always telling her daughter that she is safe when she asks and even reminding her that she is safe even when her daughter does not prompt her. She also tells Ashley to start exposure therapy for her daughter and candles, in order to avoid creating a phobia. She suggests first having a candle in the room unlit. Then, introduce a lit candle on the other side of the room and gradually over time get her daughter closer and closer to the candle while reassuring her that she is safe.

Watch: Help for Woman’s Burn Scars after a Freak Accident

With 25 home fires caused by candles per day, The Doctors remind everyone that the safest method of extinguishing candles is with a snuffer. Some more candle safety tips include:

  • To extinguish a candle, always smother the flame with a snuffer. Never blow or throw water on a candle.
  • Keep a burning candle within sight. 
  • Trim wicks to 1/4" before lighting. 
  • Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire.

More candle safety tips can be found here.

L Brands Communications (Parent Company of Bath & Body Works) released a statement to The Doctors regarding the candle.

"We are very sorry that this happened and are taking this situation extremely seriously. The safety of our customers is our number-one priority, and we are actively working to learn more details from the customer. As more than a decade of rigorous testing has shown, our candles are safe to use in accordance with the printed instructions. For additional information about the safe use of candles, we would encourage users to see the recommendations of the National Candle Association regarding Candle Safety at http://candles.org/fire-safety-candles/candle-safety-rules/," the statement read.      

Please help keep the community civil. The Doctors moderates this forum and all comments must follow TheDoctorsTV.com Community Guidelines and New Terms of Use . The Doctors reserves the right to use the comments you submit in whole or in part, and to use the commenter’s name and location, in any medium. Note that DISQUS operates this forum and you must log-in or register with DISQUS to participate.