Teen Survives Home Explosion

Kilee, 16, recalls smelling an odd odor when she walked into her home after school one day. When the odor didn’t dissipate, she decided to light a candle, unknowingly igniting a massive explosion that destroyed the house.

When Kilee emerged from the home engulfed in fire, nearby neighbors helped drown the flames and called 9-1-1. Her parents arrived just minutes after the explosion to find a devastating scene.

Kilee was airlifted to a children’s hospital and immediately evaluated by a team of doctors. She suffered burns on 45 percent of her body, 20 percent of which were third degree. She lost her eyebrows and eyelashes, and the hair on her head was severely singed. 

“You’re lucky to be alive,” plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon says. “That is a potentially deadly injury.”

Dr. Ordon explains that third degree burns penetrate through the dermis and the epidermis, ultimately burning down to the fat, which means that the skin will not be able to grow back. He advises that Kilee will need several skin grafts (donor skin harvested from an unburned area of the body) to repair the damage from the blaze. The injured areas will also require constant care.

Just two months after the incident, Kilee joins The Doctors onstage and says her recovery is going well. 

“I feel good about it,” she says. “I think I’ll be able to make a full recovery.”

To help the family redecorate their new home, The Doctors surprise them with a $4,000 gift card to Apt 2B

Additionally, a special guest who heard about Kilee’s incredible story makes a surprise appearance to show his support:

Please help keep the community civil. The Doctors moderates this forum and all comments must follow TheDoctorsTV.com Community Guidelines and New Terms of Use . The Doctors reserves the right to use the comments you submit in whole or in part, and to use the commenter’s name and location, in any medium. Note that DISQUS operates this forum and you must log-in or register with DISQUS to participate.