With all of the recent horrific shootings, and with these types of massacres on the rise, everyone in the media and government is talking about mental health, mental health, mental health. While mental health can be a component to these shootings, I don't believe it is the only thing that sparks these events.
I fear that all this talk is going to make people MORE afraid of seeking help, for fear that they will be stigmatized, judged, and penalized. I fear that more people will not seek out the help that they need!
Just to keep things in perspective, millions of Americans are suffering from mental illness. Less than 1% of them are violent, according to someone I heard (not sure if this is factual). But what IS fact is that more violence and crime is committed against those who have mental illness--they can be easy targets and easily taken advantage of.
Back to other components that I believe cause these horrific massacres:
1. We live in a culture where most people are raised with a sense of self-entitlement. When things don't go their way, they lash out and want to hurt others.
2. We don't teach our young boys to express anger in healthy ways.
3. We live in a time where more often than not, there is dysfunction in the family.
4. Parents leave their children unattended when watching violent TV and movies, never explaining to them proper ways of dealing with anger, never explaining that violent behavior is wrong, never explaining ANYTHING.
5. Parents are not teaching their children empathy from an early age!
6. Parents are allowing their children to play hours and hours of violent video games.
7. Parents are allowing their children to use social media, which makes them less empathetic to others.
8. People are generally not making meaningful connections with others.
9. There's more! Any more ideas? Please write! Thanks.
Total votes: 2How do you feel about mental health?
|Vote I will not seek professional help because of the stigma.|
|Vote I haven't seen a professional but am open to it.|
|Vote I've seen a professional.|
|You must vote to see the results|